1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Stock fan cracked my dads mobo!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by kebabs, Oct 3, 2008.

1. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't you dare start calling me nub :p. Anyway;

Kinda funny to be honest...

Anyway my Dad thought it was time for him to upgrade his PC so I told him what to buy and he bought it. I had a spare Asus P5N-E SLI lying around so I told him he could have that as long as he bought the CPU and the memory.

So bla bla we bought the E7200 and the memory and when it arrived we put everything together turned on, Worked great!!! . . . Until it froze on the BIOS page. I then restarted it with no luck... Unplugged everything, reset CMOS and even tried different memory and tried all slots and then couldn't work out why. I then took it out of the case and put it on the bed and as I was checking if the fan ?? pins ?? ( the things that go into the mobo then you have to turn them to lock it ) were in properly and I noticed 2 hair width cracks in the mobo right where the fan was.

Now I know you guys are gonna start blaming me for saying that I must of done it wrong but I cheesemonkey swear that nothing was forced in and I did things the way I know which is, 'If it doesn't fit, don't force it'.

I don't know how the hell it happened or why but when I originally put it on the motherboard it went strait in and was snug not too tight.

Do you think I should contact Asus about this or maybe Intel?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Contact both Asus and Intel. The push-pin design is horrible, and since it sounds like you installed it properly, the design is to blame. Asus and Intels opinion my differ however.:ohwell:

3. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like completely agree with you there... Worst thing ever. Also when they are in sometimes they still pop out!

Ok, Thanks I shall contact them both :)

4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    push pin=epic fail

5. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You turn them before you push them into the motherboard. You rotate them opposite to the arrows in your hand. Then place the cooler over the holes and push them in till you hear clicks.

You rotate them in the direction of the arrows to remove the cooler.

What did you do? People complain, but this is extremely easy to do. Ive fitted intel coolers dozens of times without problems. Its really simple, just take some time to look at the pushpin mechanism and apprecitae how it works before fitting it.

6. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is what I didn't want... I know exactly how to do it. I've also done it many times. I wouldn't of come on here and said anything if I knew it was my fault. Every push-pin was on properly so please don't tell me that I should check how it works before doing it.

Edit:

^^ Sorry that last bit sounded so sarcastic... Wasn't meant to be :p

7. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude, just wanted to know what exactly you did. You didnt say how you fitted it in the OP. I appreciate you followed your rule 'If it doesn't fit, don't force it', but sometimes it doesnt even take that.

8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Sue!

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I just realized it sounded sarcastic... Sorry. Wasn't meant to be <3 you.

Just writing out what I did. Give me a sec :)

Edit:

What I did was, I held the heatsink firmly on the mobo with my left hand and with my right hand, I pushed on each push-pin until it was firmly in and then turned it clockwise to lock it into place. I did this with each pin. It was a snug fit, everything fitted perfectly when I put it on.

There you go. Sorry for sounding sarcastic. <3

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You shouldn't have to turn it after pushing in the pin, it should just click into place and be good.

Either way, it sounds like the board failed under the pressure of the heatsink. Contact ASUS and send it in for RMA, they should replace it without problem.

I don't really think the Push-Pin design is that bad, I've built hundreds of machines with the stock Intel cooler, it isn't that hard to use. I honestly can't figure out what all the fuss is about.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  11. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok just heads up, lets not go into detail of how it works... :p Otherwise this could end up as an argument over nothing.

The only thing that matters is that the motherboards gone and it was the fan that did it not human error. :)

12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i didnt until i tried to use the one that came with a celeron 440 and ECS G31 board took an hour to get it to mount correctly :shadedshu turned out one of the pins was messed up and didnt unlock...

the pushpin design isn't that bad its the cheap way intel did it they pushpins take a ton of force to work i have a couple Tt coolers with pushpins and they work great but intels just suck

13. proletariandan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its also because they use cheap plastic that can easily bend/slide/twist when it isn't supposed to...that and the lack of any kind of backing plate. I'm always amazed at how long it takes me to get all 4 to lock and that the motherboards ever survive.

14. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    yeah, the stock intel fan isnt too bad, but to actually install it on the board, it has cheap plastic pins, wtf??

15. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would contact them anyway....you never know if they have received the same complaint from others and you might get a free board.

16. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just thought I would take a picture to show you the damage.

[​IMG]

That smear underneath it was when we turned the board over :p.

17. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Tough break.
    My bro gets worried when he installs his stock intel cooler because of the pressure.

18. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    I don't think either party will take the blame on this one. You can try and RMA the board, but since there is physical damage they might not accept it. If you need another mobo, I can sell you an Asus P5B for 70 or so

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=70702

19. kebabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll contact them about it and if they reject it, I'll consider purchasing your board :)

20. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    if they reject it bitch until you get a manager and see if you can talk him into giving you a new mobo

21. SimFreak47

SimFreak47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    In a city, thats in a state which is in the US, an
    I agree with newtekie1, there really isn't anything wrong with the Pushpins.

I like the Intel Pushpin design, and I have done 1 computer for my friend, and I thought it was fairly straightforward..

22. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    1 VS Many

I have done quite a few, and trying to release them in a small OEM case or even in a custom build is a PITA, and yes, I have gotten some coolers with defective pins and or had them pop out when fully engaged, and or one side of the pin retainer bends slightly and it is almost impossible to get it to snap in unless you put it in first every time after.

Socket 7 was almost as bad, sweating over weather or not your screwdriver would pop off and stab the motherboard or not trying to get it fastened.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  23. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Socket A was pretty bad too, for the same reason as socket 7.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  24. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Push pins are not to bad, just be careful next time.
    PS. It's ok to admit you did something wrong it happens to the best of us :)