1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to invest $10 million in PowerVR

Discussion in 'News' started by DanTheBanjoman, Oct 3, 2006.

1. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Intel is buying 6 million Imagination shares for 88 Pence a piece and plans to use PowerVR's graphic cores in their next generation application processor family. PowerVR, owned by Imagination, was previously known for their Kyro series which used a revolutionary tile based rendering architecture. Currently PowerVR mainly produces mobile graphics cores. Current Intel IGP's also use PowerVR technology, perhaps Intel and PowerVR will be a nice team against the new AMD/ATI alliance.

Source: ExtremeTech
  2. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    the kyro chip was certainly different, i owned one in the guise of the 3d prophet 4500. it held its own quite well, but also had bold weaknesses which i hope have seince been resolved. itll be interesting to watch, but i get the feeling powervr\intel vs amd\ati willbe like watching david vs goliath. only this time david is going to be stomped on like an ant.
  3. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    i think this is a good move by intel, i had completley forgot about the power vr chips and company. im surprised though intel didnt go for matrox instead though
  4. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    This should be an interesting partnership indeed. I assume it will probably only be something for the low end market but it would be interesting to get a 3rd competitor into the video card business (yes i already know there are others like savage already but those arin't REALLY competitors). Ketxxx what sort of bold weaknesses did the card have anyway?

ps: didn't david only beat goliath before because he was a cheap little runt and threw rocks :p
  5. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    the kyro chip had issues rendering AA properly, that was a loooooong time ago though.