1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel v AMD for the money concern for building new computer.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xazraelx, Jan 29, 2008.

1. xazraelx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, well, the story is, I need a dedicated machine for running 3 copies of World of Warcraft at or above 25 fps at the same time.

I was looking at the AMD dual cores, because they have gotten SO cheap. But, my thing is, I don't really know how far I need to go into performance to remain as cheap as possible. I've been out of the loop for a while, and kind of had a couple quick questions that might be somewhat repetitive to some of you, and for that I apologize.

For an AMD 4000+ x2, $60...Would that be enough? Would I really need to step up to like an e4400 or something along the C2D line, or would this work? The mobo to pair with it would obviously be one of the low-mid budget mobos that will just -work-, nothing fancy.

Best GPU for the money now (but must meet the initial qualifications): would a 7900gs be a decent candidate for $100?

As for RAM, would I need to get 2gb or step up to 4? Ram is getting so cheap nowadays, and I know I can only utilize around 3.5 gbs, but still?

Again, I apologize for the repetitive nature, it just seems as though prices on everything have recently gone haywire, and I'm just seeking the best bang for the buck.

Thanks.
  2. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:
    WoW isnt that intence a 4000+ overclocked a bit should do the trick, the main thing your gonna want to watch is make sure u get a full 4gb ram if ur in the states get the adata ddr2 800 cas4 kit its like 40bucks a kit for 2gb kits and overclocks very well.

as to a board, biostar tforce 560 or TA770 boards are the best choice at the moment, they offer best quilty+bang for buck.

as for video you would probbly want a 3850 minimum(the 8800gt 256 sucks...sorry but it does)
    hat and xazraelx say thanks.
  3. xazraelx New Member

Thanks Received:
    And I'm again reminded why I love TPU. Thanks given.

Any other input by anyone would be greatly appreciated as well.
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Biggest question, do you plan to overclock?
  5. xazraelx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whatever is most efficient...bang for the buck. I can easily overclock if need be, however.
  6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if all u want to do is what u say u want a do a budget amd system will do the job nicely..

if u go amd i would say.. abit an52 mobo.. 2 gigs of value ram.. 6000+ cpu and one 3850 card as the basis..

but if u want more than u say u do.. intel will benchmark better but cost more..

the skies the limit with intel it depends on what u wish to spend.. with amd u get what u get and thats it and it dont cost much..

a decent amd system will play games just as well as the best intel system.. it just dont carry the same e-peen factor.. he he

trog
  7. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok I ran wow fine with this setup at a very steady FPS of 60 @ 12x10

x2 3800
    ECS Nforce4 AM2
    8600GT 256mb
    2gb DDR2667

build something along those lines and your set.
  8. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:
    he would probbly be better off with a 5000+black edition then a 6000+, easy to overclock are those blackys ;) on RH forums 3.225 with the ta770 board(new amd chipset) and by reports the chipset even when highly overclocked dosnt get hot so the stock passive coolers plenty!!!

i still say 4gb adata extream ddr2 800 cas4 if ur gonna run multi copys of WoW or any game on the system :)
  9. xazraelx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to clarify as some of you seem to be misunderstanding, it needs to run 3-4 copies of WoW at the same time...I have a gaming machine that I use myself, I just need a computer to do this, and this alone.

It will have Windows XP Pro SP2 32bit, and WoW installed. The hard drive will be no more than an old 40gb I have laying around, and the guts are what I'm coming to you guys for :)

I've always been an AMD fanboy up until my last build, when I broke down to the core 2 duos. But that doesn't matter...this computer will be used for one thing, and one thing alone - so the best bang for the buck is what I'm going after.
  10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think the 6000+ is the better option but its down to choice.. basically mine ran nicely at 3.350 24/7 with just a small increase on the fsb.. no need for expensive ram no need for fancy anything.. even if left just as it comes at 3 gig it goes nicely..

i ran such a system which is why i say it works nicely.. why overclock for the sake of overclock.. 3 gig out of the box is pretty good..

the black 5000 has to be clocked.. the black 6400 wont clock.. i think the 6000 is the sweet one.. but ts down to choice in the end..

trog
  11. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    best to do your own research us dude.. us "misunderstanders" simply miss understand.. he he he

google google google.. u know exactly what u want go find it.. it should be easy..

trog
  12. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eh... you gold farming or something? :p Or just multi-boxing or whatever they call it?
  13. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    actully do this, i mis read you

Quad Core Phenom, give WoW its own thread, an ECS 770 motherboard, and an 8400GS, just turn settings down to low.
  14. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    WoW ran pretty good on my rig in specs :p 28fps avg.

On the other hand, the one I built for my bro was on a X2 3800+, 1950pro, 2g ram. He couldn't MAKE that thing drop under 60fps. He tried... oooh did he try. He'd have Vent, Skype, and Teamspeak running in the background, then go into some capital city and start jumping and spinning and all kinds of stuff. All details set to max at 19x14.

If you need a pure WoW, internet Box, you can git 'er dun for about 300$. Build 3 for the same price as one Intel that can do the same thing.
  15. xazraelx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Processor - $160
    Is this the mobo you're speaking of? - $75
    As for the graphics card, why the 3850? I'm not so up-to-date on ATi cards, so I could be speaking out of ignorance, but why would I not go with: the x1650 pro - $80 Again, correct me if I'm wrong.
    will I need a heftier psu? - $40

$360 so far, and I still need to find a cheap case (I have a hdd laying around) and some RAM, but for 3-4 copies, would I be needing 4gb of ram instead of 2?

I suppose I could always downgrade to this processor but I'm not sure if paying $60 isn't worth that improvement - of course, I could just oc the 5000.

What do you guys think? Remember, I'm trying to remain as cheap as possible. I will rarely EVER be using this computer for myself, just to run 3-4 copies of WoW.

And many, many thanks, I think I'm going to take the advice in this thread and go do some personal researching of certain parts :) - I'll come back when I'm done with the build and see if anyone has any suggestions.
  16. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    A 2600xt with a MiR would cost you 55$, and give a bit better performace. Smaller/quieter/less wattage as well. Get 2 for xfire, and you'd be running just fine.

A 5000+ BE would be 60$ cheaper, and give you the same effect, you just have to remember to buy a HSF, and change that multiplier as high as it'll go stable.
  17. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah the 2600 kills the 1600 range of cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138102
    that boards ALOT better then the one your listing, and if you ever desided you wanted a k10 chip its fully ready to take one with a simple bios update, also its a hell of a clocking boards.

as to a decent cooler say this for 19bucks.
    http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright-Ultra-90-K8-pr-3348.html
    choose the H1B that comes free with it(its the higher airflow fan of the 2 panaflows they offer)
    this thing stomps the cooler freezer64pro (have had both, this is better)
    it comes with decent goop if u dont have any so thats no worrie.

I would get this psu personaly, its a bit more but it properly supports newer boards such as the one listed that need 8 pin cpu power plugs
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101021
    also its higher quility then thermaltake units, i have had alot of bad tt psu's :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211174
    ram, price has gone up a bit but NO REBATES and it overclocks well, oh and will not be picky in difrent boards as alot of the kits like ballistix and hyperx can be.

there are cheaper parts but the few $ extra u spend here and there will lead to a better more easly clocked system, and i would get the 5000+BE honestly, i dont know anybody who hasnt gotten 3+gz out of there chip!!!!

add a 2600 card and your set, the parts i listed i have first hand exp with they all work very well and offer best bang for the buck, the boards new and gives proper support to k10 chips, the psu is KICKASS(40 amps on 12v rails!!) the ram overclocks VERY VERY well and is cheap, all in all this will run ur WoW without a problem and still not cost you an arm and legg :)

oh and that coolers a killer deal, i got mine at sidewinder with the screw thru mount for am2, i love this cooler!!!
  18. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Er, you mean you want to host three instances of WoW for a private server.. or no?

Because if you just want to multi-client WoW, so you can do things like group with your own characters in game, then you don't need any particular chip... as long as it meets the minimum requirements for the game then you're fine. Although 'minimum' is usually cutting it a bit too close.

Instead of alt-tabbing each window, just hit CTRL-Esc and then manually select the other(s) clients running.

With that method you could run like twenty five simultaneous clients with one of the C2D chips.
  19. ChillyMyst

ChillyMyst New Member

Thanks Received:
    WoW isnt that cpu demanding, but it can be ram demanding, theres no need to go core2 in this case, it would be a waist to be honest, my uncle runs 6 copys of EQ2 on a system setup so that he can party them then use a little program over the lan to control what each charictor does/casts its weird and a PAIN IN THE ASS to setup, but WoW is no more or less demanding on a cpu then eq2, hes just using an old 939 3600+(256k 2gz version not the 512k 1.9gz version) its overclocked to 2.65(stock cooler) he did have to get 2x2gb ram kits tho because the system was bogging down the longer he was in game.

you could probbly pull it off with an athlonXP system if it was 3200 rated(or better due to overclock) but it might be a bit laggy, i would just grab an x2 that way you can be sure it wont bog down on you :)
  20. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    My E2200 at stock kicked the can outta my 4200+ x2.. Get a P31 and E2160 or somthing and OC
  21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Shadow, go Intel if OCing is in your future. AMD is decent on a budget, and if you plan to run at stock, but a Core 2 clocked to 3.2Ghz (which isn't uncommon), will match or beat an AMD at 3.6Ghz(much less common). AMD has lost the bottom end for overclocking now too.

Intel is definitely the way to go for OCing. E2000 series cpu and P31 based mobo with good OCing features is the way to go here, and it's not really any more expensive than an AMD setup. The board will cost a few dollars more, but the chip can actually be cheaper than those suggested, so it balances out. You might even be able to go to a P35 board like the Blood Iron.

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136038

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116037

Total for both is $210, and once clocked will be faster than the AMD setup.
  22. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I would get a Gigabyte P35-DS3L and atleast a E2160, im not sure what the multiplyer is on the 2140, make sure it has 8x or higher.

EDIT: NVM the 2140 has 8x locked so... still reccomend the gigabyte tho because the blood iron design looks terrible.. I hate how you have to remove the vid card to remove the ram, just a pet peeve of mine..
  23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but you can't argue with an easy 550fsb that most get. :D
  24. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    what mp?
  25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I don't follow? :confused: