1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel V8 Skulltrail Gaming Platform Preview

Discussion in 'News' started by Nyte, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Nyte New Member

Thanks Received:
    The folks over at Legit Review have gotten their hands on the enthusiast gaming platform known as Skulltrail from Intel at IDF. Although they did not release performance numbers due to an NDA, they were more than eager to reveal the entire system setup which included 4x PCI-E 2.0 slots, FB-DIMM slots, dual Harpertown CPU's running at 4.0 GHz and more.

Source: LegitReviews
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Again, I just don't think FB-DIMMS are a viable option for an enthusiast product. Intel really needs to rethink this idea, and go to at least DDR3. I say DDR3 because this is a high-end platform, and those looking to spend this kind of money can likely spend the money on DDR3.
  3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    FB-DIMMs work just fine, even though they're very inefficient. The i5000 and i5400 chipsets are build around FB-DIMMs though, the nice thing about that is that you can use mad amounts of RAM, which gamers don't require :)
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I was also considering overclocking. From past conversations with you, my understanding is that FB-DIMMS don't overclock well, they also run a bit on the hot side.

In it's current state, I think the platform is more suitable for 3d content creators, or something similar.
  5. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    but can't the motherboard manufacturers tailor their boards to DDR3 or whatever they want?
    X38 is going to be natively DDR3 but the mobo manufacturers will be releasing both DDR2 and DDR3 flavors
  6. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I agree Wil E. I would hope, with it being enthusiast class, they would put DDR2 or DDR 3 on tere.
  7. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    They may work fine, but they are extremely expensive, poorer performing and you can't overclock them above 400Mhz because the highest rated modules are only 333Mhz. It's like living in 2004.
  8. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Actually FB-DIMMs aren't the thing limiting overclocks, and they're available as 400MHz pretty soon, they're already listed on many manufacturers sites. Besides, the memory frequency isn't the limiting factor since they run with 4 channels (FB specs even allow 6 channels). If only the efficiency wasn't so crappy we we would see more than 7GB/s or so. Then again Seaburg offers a slight improvement, so FB-DIMMs don't perform that much worse.
    The reason, however, you can't currently get them over 400MHz has nothing to do with the FB-DIMMs.

As for extremely expensive, that's the same 2004 story you're talking about, prices have dropped significantly in the past 6 months.

Lets turn it around now, the V8 offers a lot of processing powers, desktop systems are lacking here. So I could now attack C2Q/Phenom on CPU power. How do you decide which is more important? Memory bandwidth or raw CPU performance? Benchmarks show very different results, memory intensive ones perform rather poor on i5000, however CPU intensive ones that don't rely on memory perform a lot faster on i5000. I think both platforms have good arguments and can't get near eachother in the others domain.

Lets conclude that C2Q/Phenom are living in 2004 and FB-DIMMs are as well and we require Clovers with standard DDR2/DDR3, best of both worlds. Perhaps NV will offer us that, if the rumors were true.
  9. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Not with the way FB is designed.

Intel is going to release a 2P chipset with DDR2 support in the future.
  10. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Yup. Once the NDA is lifted we'll see how quad channel 400Mhz FB fairs. Might just get (enough) bandwidth and processing power :)
  11. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    There are already benchmarks available, just look for Stoakley.
    Jizzler says thanks.
  12. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh.... I see now. I've been searching for the wrong codenames ;)