1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Compiler "cripple AMD" function

Discussion in 'Programming & Webmastering' started by wiak, Jan 3, 2010.

1. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49

"This looks like a victory for AMD. If we read "any Intel product" as Intel's compilers and function libraries, "any Third Party" as programmers using these compilers and libraries, and "Artificial Performance Impairment" as the CPU dispatcher checking the vendor ID string; then the settlement puts an obligation on Intel to change their CPU dispatcher. I will certainly check the next version of Intel's compiler and libraries to see if they have done so or they have found a loophole in the settlement."

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Intel's compilers are for Intel processors just as AMD's compilers are for AMD's processors. CUDA compilers are only for CUDA-capable GPUs and Streams compilers are only for Streams capable GPUs. If you want a non-biased compiler, you need to go to a third party that creates a multiplatform compiler (like GNU).

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. iDont

iDont New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you, but what disturbes me is that the blog link from wiak suggests that the Intel compiler has made its way into some benchmarking apps:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    That's a good point. Benchmarking software should stick to the GNU compilers and alter their names so that they are harder to create driver optimizations for.

Crunching for Team TPU