• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Future SSD Plans Detailed

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
As far as the old X25 SSDs I've had mine for over 2 1/2 years in a laptop that is bounced around every work day and have had no problems. I agree the write speeds are painful with a large install but the read speeds on it have been great.

Perhaps nt300 would be willing to pay the $5.5k for 2800/2800 MB/s claimed by OCZ here:
OCZ Z-Drive R4 CM88 800GB PCI-E PCI-Express 2.0 x8...

Never mind other brands back then were losing speed all over the place. Never had that issue either with my Intel SSD's.

And it was not to long that OCZ had issue's for the longest time and pretty sad to buy a SSD to come with a paper notice in the box saying it cannot be used as a bootable drive although it finally can be now..

And it was not to long that OCZ had issue's for the longest time and pretty sad to buy a SSD to come with a paper notice in the box saying it cannot be used as a bootable drive although it finally can be now..
I did not know that they couldn't be used as a boot device @_0 I guess thats another +1 for the X25.
Reminds me of my first Promise SATA PCI card before SATA was really on boards and I found out it wasn't bootable >:[

GuestUser41234

Not to be rude, but Intel's SSD are unreliable, slow and over priced. Did I miss anything?

Intel SSDs are some of the most reliable consumer SSDs on the market.

See 3rd party reports on returns rates:

www.behardware.com/articles/810-6/components-returns-rates.html
www.behardware.com/articles/831-7/components-returns-rates.html
www.behardware.com/articles/843-7/components-returns-rates-5.html

All of them place Intel above other brands in returns rate.

The most recent report shown here (in French):

www.hardware.fr/articles/862-7/ssd.html

has Intel having higher returns rates, but as the reviewer notes, that was due to the appearance of a firmware bug in the Intel 320s, which has since been fixed via a firmware update.

Furthermore, see a report from Tom's Hardware, who interviewed many IT managers that used SSDs in their servers and pointed out the following:

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-9.html

"Giving credit where it is due, many of the IT managers we interviewed reiterated that Intel's SLC-based SSDs are the shining standard by which others are measured."

Intel has always been a reliable brand.

Their performance has also been high-class as well, especially for the Intel 520. Observe it's 4KB random read and write speeds relative to the Samsung 830 or Crucial M4:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-520-sandforce-review-benchmark,3124-4.html

OCZ, on the other hand, has had consistently the worst returns rates, having products that consistently are returned more than 5% of the time after 6-12 months of use.