1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Interesting read: How HDD "perpendicular" recording works (vs. typical HDD's methods)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Alec§taar, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
  2. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    interesting read Alec, would like to see a head to head preformance test "perpendicular"v"longitudinal" the results would be all telling for sure
  3. «BladE|==| New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heh, a terabyte drive would be cool...it'll be just as crazy as when a 1 Gigabyte drive came out...and believe me, that was crazy. lol. Anyways, good read, i've always wanted to know what they meant by "perpendicular"...and now i know.

From Seagate site

now that's cool.

And! A 5 year warranty!...gotta get a seagate guys... :D
  4. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Frogger - I hear you!

I agree 110%/wholeheartedly: It really IS the "only way" to make determinations, though theory often holds up in this field, sometimes it does not.

:)

* We'll have to "wait & see" for tests/analysis...

APK
  5. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well higher desitys even at 7200rpm will yeild performance increases. these drives can read 3 times as much info vs a longitude drive in a giivin amount of time...thats one hell of an increase to me.
  6. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed 110%...

* Ah, the minute you buy "the best/state-of-the-art" today? It's outta date, later today!

APK
  7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I have the 320gig version of this drive and I have to say its great. performance wise Im really impressed with it

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  8. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Comparison to INSTG8R perpendicular tech diskdrive (RAID 0 & SSD)

See subject-line/title, & results-screenshots below:

Dual WD "Raptor X" 150gb/sec SATA 1 disks (16mb buffers each (32mb total), 10,000rpm) driven on a Promise Caching PCI-e x4 slot type RAID 0 controller (128mb ECC Ram, onboard Intel I/O controller (offloads main system CPU)):

[​IMG]

(And, by way of comparison, now comparing BOTH INSTG8R's disk & mine above, to a SSD)

CENATEK "RocketDrive" Solid-State RamDisk (SSD) 2gb PC-133 SDRAM:

[​IMG]

* Read 'em & weep, varying results!

APK

P.S.=> This new "perpendicular" disk of INSTG8R's does GREAT on bursts & reads @ ~ 239mb/sec!

My std. mechanical HDD setup (using WD "Raptor X's" SATA disks w/ 16mb buffers on each & 10k rpm rotation rates) in RAID 0 does best on CPU usage (0% vs. 4.4% from INSTG8R's unit) but...

It "only" got ~ 168mb/sec. readspeed, surpassing its bus type speed ceiling even, lol, burst from cache most likely (AND, even beating even an SSD here, surprisingly enough - got to be fact it is cached & bursting from that cache & on a PCI-e x4 bus slot)... 'losing' to INSTG8R's disk here though on this account/note.

This imo, (as far as the CPU portion) is because of its onboard CPU on the RAID controller in use here on the CPU % being 0, & transfer speed being as high as it is (bursting out of RAM on it on some tests)...

My RAID 0 128mb cached setup also surpassed INSTG8R's system in seek/access time (8.8 vs. 13.5).

The CENATEK SSD outright rules in Access/Seeks though (0% & test finished on that section in literally, a blink of an eye & ONLY 3% CPU use which is less than INSTG8R's 4.4% cpu usage (probably to power its driver))!

IMO, this SSD's bus type (PCI 2.2) & memory type used (PC-133 SDRAM) held it down to 133mb/sec. it's limits, or as near to it as it could get (123mb/sec++~124mb/sec)...

(The soon coming DDRDrive PCI-e x1 will be better in this test on those notes since it uses DDR1 & PCI-Express bus types: Which is WHY I want to get one so bad & put the CENATEK SSD here back into my older system where it came from)... apk
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  9. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    From our server while live on the net. :D

Attached Files:

10 Million points folded for TPU
  10. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool photo above, I'd title it "LIVE, without a net!" lol...

See subject-line/title, first, & read on:

(LOL!)

Hey, it's slower than mine, @ 108.8 mb/sec.! Mine's NOT a full-time server here, though, even my server rig (only when I write stuff really, not live 24/7 production).

However, imo, yours is also busy as well probably servicing disk I/O oriented requests - & it matters large, especially when you run a test on it while the other stuff's going on it, cuts into testscore large imo!

* So, barring that? IMO, that'd probably put them into the SAME ballpark range as my setup imo, if it was not bearing a workload (what does it do/what KIND of server?)

APK

P.S.=> That INTEL RAID: What type of controller, cached or not, etc.?

(Feeback is appreciated)...

How many spindles to the RAID spool, etc. disk types & specs (rpm rates, heads per disk if you know, & buffers amounts onboard each disk (not interested so much about mb/gb size though per each one))? apk
  11. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Intel P4 3.6Ghz HT server LGA775.
    Intel 925X Board
    ICHR7 chipset with integrated RAID.
    2) Maxtor DM10's 16MB cache, NCQ active, 128Kb stripe, RAID 0.
    1Gb Micron DDR2 RAM

While serving 1Gb of data out of multiple data sets per day(9-10Hrs). Average request size of 200Kb. Running two F@H clients :D

Built by meh.
  12. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I gotta know something

See subject-line/title above first:

Now, was it "live" on a production "Burst-Run" when you tested, or not?

Not too shabby! Assuming this is an EIDE-SATA RAID unit, firmware driven from chip on mobo, right?

(Or, somehow, could it be Ultra-ScSi? Doubt it, but, must ask - Not familiar w/ that mobo & thanks for info!)

* I will check on the # of read/write heads per disk later... matters imo, for seeks & access, as well as read/write I/O!

APK
  13. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't watching disk stats when it was benching. But I assume that the minor variance is due to disk requests.

Yes it is driven from the ICH7R intel chip. No secondary buffers, no extra cache.

Just a fast serving, storage system.

The drives contain 3 partitions. First at the innermost part of the disk is the windoze system drive at 50GB. Next is the Database at 300GB, then our company backups of the last 250GB.

I have three PC's that have had the user files mirrored to the Database due to the pepsi machine and microwave. :( This once caused an unfortunate loss of time in a paintball arena, after that I swore not to leave important files with no backups.
  14. djbbenn New Member

Thanks Received:
  15. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hitachi?

What are they doing now?? Extending the "DeathStar" line to do perpendicular recording???

APK
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    If offered I would gladly test a set of perp drives in the same system. :D
  17. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received: