1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intermittent internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by will, Aug 25, 2009.

1. will

will

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,
    Basically for the last few weeks I have been having some real problems with my internet in my house. I have a netgear wireless router connected to the phone line (through a microfilter obviously), which is connected to about 4 PCs via ethernet, and 1 PC wirelessly. All other phone sockets in the house have microfilters on as well. This set up has been working fine for a few years now, but recently we got back from holiday and the internet seems really dodgy throughout the house.
    Basically what will happen is that sometimes web pages will load and work normally, but quite often they just won't load and firefox will come up with 'page cannot be displayed' or whatever. Usually if you refresh a few times it will load, but basically the whole time the connection is really dodgy.
    The router has a constant connection to the internet, which isn't affected when these random dropouts occur, I can check the adsl uptime in the router settings and it shows however long since I last switched off the router.
    I have connected a different router (linksys) to the phone line, but got the same problems. Actually one time with the linksys, the internet didn't work at all (although it said it was connected in the router settings page) so I switched back to the netgear.
    I have connected a phone (N95) to the wifi and it showed the same symptoms, usually coming up with 'no gateway reply' or something on the screen. This suggests to me that it is not a software (firewall etc) problem with any of the computers. The second router pretty much rules out router problems.
    I have phoned up my internet provider (tiscali :shadedshu) and havent really got much help. Basically they ran some diagnostics and couldn't find any problems with the connection. Today when I phoned them they told me to plug the router into the master phone line in the house, and they are going to monitor the internet usage for the next 24 hours and get back to me. I suspect they won't find anything.
    I have no idea what could be causing these problems, it is really getting annoying! :banghead:

Can anyone help me out? :confused: I've never experienced anything like this so I can't really come up with any ideas...

2. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    call them back up and tell them to ping your router. This will give you a good idea of what end the problem is on. If they get a good ping then the problem is on your end. If it is delayed or takes a while then the problem is on their end or the phone lines. Just a suggestion.

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You could check if the error is on your side like ping times and such.

Give this a look http://www.d3tr.de/