1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internal Hard Drive or External Hard Drive? (For my laptop!)

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by -1nf1n1ty-, Jun 26, 2010.

1. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    What would be a lot more worth it? I cant really decide. if I get a bigger HDD internal, I wont have to carry around a external, if I grab an external its handy and I wont need my laptop for some things(movies,music,games,images) but I want to buy one today along with apple snow leopard. suggestions and opinions? I also have 320 total GB of space on my mac

EDIT wrong section I know :\

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. dr_dream

dr_dream New Member

Thanks Received:
    I all depend on what you need. Do you need lot of space for personal files which you always wanna have with you and your laptop, or do you have lots of movies, ISOs that you use on several devices (laptop, dvd player, other computers..).
    For the first need I recommend an internal drive, while for the second demand it would be best to have an external HDD (which also needs a power connection, don't forget that, because it's not that easy to always carry an external unit with you and your laptop)

If you want a good internal drive, also very good for booting purposes, I'd recommend the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid drive which combines a 500GB HDD with a 4GB SDD memory

3. Timonthy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, 320GB should be enough for everyday use as long as you're not a movie hoarder.

But, I think the best solution for you is get a bigger internal drive, and use the 320G as an external with an enclosure, so you can get improve performance from the new drive, and get a decent external HDD.

^dr dream
    There are plenty external enclosures/drives that run off USB power, especially ones for 2.5" laptop drives. So the power adapter shouldn't be an issue.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    -1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
  5. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I do computer animation so lots and lots of renders and videos tutorials, models etc

6. Timonthy New Member

Thanks Received:
    -1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
  7. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    there are a lot of HDD casings available in the market. so even if u buy a new internal, u can change it into external anytime. Price of casing are around $10 here at my place.

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
  8. External, More Convieant, And Can Use On Any PC

9. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
  10. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    glad to help