1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internal USB to SATA adaptor

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Lazzer408, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone ever seen an adaptor that can be connected to a motherboard's USB header to support a SATA hard drive?

Long story short I'm out of SATA ports. I was thinking of maybe modding something like this.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-SATA-Ad...044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0e6a5cdc

I could unsolder the USB port and solder on a 6" or so cable with a 4-pin connector to fit the mobo. It would be easier to just buy one if I knew where to find things like that.

2. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Before you go any further, are you aware that the HDD mounted through such a USB device will be significantly slower than a native SATA. If you are out of ports, I would recommend getting a PCI or PCIe SATA controller. At least your HDDs will run at full speed, and you can have write cache. Whereas, write cache over USB is not the way to go. And with an "external USB device" autoplay will kick in and antivirus will scan it on every boot (default settings).

3. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Yes I know. It's a mini ITX chassis and the board only has 2 SATA ports one x16 slot that has a videocard in it. The DVD and HDD are both SATA. I put an SSD drive in it for the OS and the extra SATA port would be for holding media. I've never had any problems playing movies off a USB drive so I figured it's my only solution. It's prettier to stuff it inside then an external enclosure would be.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Lazzer408 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Great suggestion. Either that or if your board has an eSATA port, you could try to loop the cable back onto the case using an eSATA to SATA cable.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Thats close but for $9 I'll solder it. :D

Yes I just checked and it DOES have an esata port. I forgot all about that. Who's going to see it back there right?

7. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    i am going to do the same idea as you for my itx server. i have 2 onboard sata plus a 4 port pci-e controller but i need more. i have already got the internaly mounted laptop dvd-rw running into the usb and all my data goes over 100mbit ethernet so aslong as you are not in a hurry to copy a few Tb's of data usb is fine.

i couldnt find an esata cable that would sit nice. it always looked a but ugly.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011