1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internet browser(s) question.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by TechnicalFreak, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Hi

I have IE installed :banghead: and sure some things are good and som things are bad (well mostly bad..).

So, what browser is good theese days?
    (I only know theese 2):

1.Opera
    2.Firefox (Mozilla?).

I am asking this because my friend just got a nasty IE-virus on his system (wonder how that got there..). And I do not wish to get one aswell, but so far so good.

So what do you recommend?

Thankful for any replies given.

2. Grimskull New Member

Thanks Received:
    avast
    opera
    firefox

thats all i can think of... there was netscape back in the day but thats gone. Opera is a great browser, but im sure most people be going for firefox.

3. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Questions like this deserve a poll.

I vote Firefox.

4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whats so "bad" about IE? Do you even have IE7?

5. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    the same here... i've used Opera but I feel in love with firefox with the fact that i haven't had a bug yet with my computer...
    +1 firefox

6. Grimskull New Member

Thanks Received:
    like i said most people be going for firefox....... but Opera was first to come out with a lot of stuff that is now only coming to IE and came to firefox some time back.... but Opera had them fist... like pop-up blocker, tabbed browser etc.....

But i use IE7!!!!!!! hahahahahahahah :laugh:

7. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Less is wrong with IE7 than IE6. Relatively speaking, IE7 is still going to be more susceptible to viruses and hacks than Firefox since it holds the mass market share. Good for it though, I like not using a target for my internet escapades.

Firefox kinda went all commando, grabbed IE6 marketshare by the twins, and ran off into the jungle with em. I feel Firefox is less intrusive and easier to "clean" than IE. I've used a couple other browsers, but Firefox just feels the best. Especially with stuff like this ---V

8. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I feel the same as you on that... its easier then any browser I've used so far, and haven't had any problems with it yet.
    IMO

9. Yupp got my update today, and thanks to it I can't reach my internet bank account. Called the tech people at the bank and they haven't got IE7 themselfs so...

10. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    yeah its happened to my sister also.. most won't support IE7 till the middle of this year or so... NO Banks use it. Not safe.. so what does that tell you?

11. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bless you man, I've been there and done that and had to go back to IE6 which was NOT fun....

Where I work they won't allow IE7 because of safety concerns, so they weren't too pleased when I upgraded to IE 7 on my issued laptop (oops). Oh well, wish you an easier route than I had going back if that's what ya choose.

12. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just dl'd firefox 2 (cause I tryed out an older one long ago) and its slower than Ie7 and my google toolbar wont work :(

13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    go to the firefox optimizer thread and do what they suggest.. it will work.
    then when it does thank laszlo for it... i haven't used it yet since I just got my system back up

14. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    It makes it so FF uses 38kb but its still pretty slow

15. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Then, I don't know what to tell you man... its fine on my end. I have a slow a$$ connection.... My friends goes pretty good. I guess its just the connection...

16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I've used Avast and Opera for years, and have not a single complaint about either as both are free and have performed excellently!

:toast:

Cold Storm says thanks.
  17. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    whats the bigger differences in those two? its been so long with opera I don't know.. and never used avast

18. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Avast is one of the better free virus scanners our there, doesn't use much on resources and in my experience does a very decent job of scanning and catching things. There are better, but generally they need more resources to beat Avast, and quite a few that you pay for aren't as good imo.

Opera is an excellent web browser, that I believe founded tabbed browsing...it's had it for years. Seems to take up fewer resources, has a lot of options and customizability to it, and has always been very stable in operation. It saves your tabs whenever you close it out, and you can make profiles with different tabs, all sorts of good stuff. I generally use it over IE7, which if you want Opera can id itself as (I am assuming for more compatability a few years ago???). I just can't say enough...I tried FireFox...didn't really like it too much, but I tried Opera and have been hooked, everyone has their preferences, and everyone should try Opera and Firefox IMO. It's at least worth the small download and quick install, Opera.com.

19. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    yeah, I'll try opera soon or so...