1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internet goes crazy slow

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by satindemon4u, Aug 21, 2013.

1. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Hello all. For the past few days I have been noticing that my internet speeds will bog down to...well crap. At first I thought it was just my computer until my girlfriend brought to my attention that hers too was going SLOW. To the point where normally we can download at around 2 megs/sec but now it will dip to around 45kb/s and stay there. I have tried restarting the router and modem both with no luck. However, if I restart them and then disable and re-enable the wifi on my computer it will go back to it's normal speed.

So, is it my/her computer, the router or modem or the ISP? We have the same provider for cable as well as internet and have noticed no problems in TV (not sure that we would)

Ideas?

EDIT: Have noticed that the problem isn't just with my computer. It happens on my phone as well. So, it is network wide. Have tried updating the router but it is up to date already.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Don't have bandwidth cap per month do you. By restart you mean the usual modem and router restart right?

3. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    No, no cap. Sorry, should have been more specific on a "restart". By that I mean unplugging both for around 30 seconds to a minute and plugging them both back in. Not using the restart button.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sure no one else is using your internet? torrents could be causing that

5. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Change your wifi key, and see if it changes. You may have a bum using up your connection. Sounds like when you restart you dump their connection.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Or your little brother watching multiple netflix movies? Lol, thats usually the problem for me. I live in the boondocks tho so bums aren't a problem for me. You could change your password like they mentioned, that would be hilarious if that fixed it

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Do you run anything like Plex media server?

8. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Haha funny how I was listening to a program last night about the op's problem.. the top providers are fucking witth us all.. compair los Angeles net speed... for $30 dollars they get 10mb d/l and 1 mb up... now go to hong kong.. for $36 you get 500mb down and up so wtf gives? Ill tell ya.. we are getting fucked big time.. I've raised my voice a few times with my providers and after speaking loud enough the problem gets fixed but for only 3-4 months then they want me to rent there equipment as they say it all looks good on our end.. bull shit it does..

That's all and sorry for the words but it really pisses me off these companies.

9. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Fullinfusion, i have the same complaint exactly. I guess the infrastructure for that really doesnt exist here other than a few specific places. Most places, like where i am youre doing good to get 1mb down and not to be on crappy sattelite, which would go out several times a day.

fullinfusion says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    I hear ya man!

I just upped my connection to 50Mb d/l and 2Mb up.. Pathetic upload but its all they give us.
    I ran a few tests and all in all im sitting @ 40Mb down and 1.6-1.7 up

Tottal shit imo and to think a tech support will answer the phone? Nope :banghead:

11. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    To pretty much all above posts,

Thank you guys very much. As far as someone piggybacking off of my WiFi I don't think that would be happening. We live somewhat in the country. We do have neighbors but all of them have their own wifi. I checked my router to see all of the connections on it and two of which are mine, the other two say unknown under the name however I believe one is the printer and the other is maybe another cell phone. The IP's don't look funky on them either.

Should I still change the wifi password? Or is that now not needed? Thanks again guys!

12. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    This site: http://aruljohn.com/mac.pl
    will tell you who made the device that's on the network by the first six of the mac address.

Use that to determine if it's a phone or another pc.

satindemon4u says thanks.
  13. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Wow. That's a handy site. I did a check and the other unknown is just my girlfirends phone. So yeah, back to where we were. No one piggybacking. :/

EDIT: Started going slow again so I tried to just disable the wifi on my computer and re-enable it. From what I can tell that seemed to work. Not sure if it actually worked or if it was just some sort of coincidence.

remixedcat says thanks.