1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internet Monitoring Program over a Home Network?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Melvis, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Hello there fellow TPU members, i was wondering if any one knows of a program that can monitor internet downloading/usage from multiple computers at home on the network? So i can see how much each person has downloaded so i can then have proof of how much each person has used by the day/month and so on.

I already have a program that can do everyone at once but thats not realy what i was looking for. Its called MUM and its from internode.

Any info would be great thanks :toast:
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you cant do it the way you're thinking. its not possible for one machine to report results centrally - you could put a program on each machine, but that'd show LAN traffic as well as internet (and they could quit the program/end the service, to get away with extra downloading)

The only way to do it reliably is how i've done it - with a seperate machine running linux (PFSENSE) between the modem/router and all PC's on the network.

Theres a plugin (BandwidthD) that records (permanently, so you can do last week, last 30 days etc) of bandwidth per IP address - you just need to make sure everyone has static IP's (since you can block all IP's except a whitelist, its easy enough to prevent people from using other IP's to fudge their numbers)
    Melvis says thanks.
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info Mussels, its what i sorta thought might be the answer, bugger, but a program that i could run on each machine would be ok as the LAN traffic isn't much here, so that wouldn't be much of a problem.

What program would you use for each computer to monitor internet usage?
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bandwidth meter pro, or netlimiter. neither are free, and netlimiter currently doesnt work with 7 (dont try, it causes BSOD's)

netlimiter can tell the difference between LAN and internet traffic, but as i said - people can just kill the service and get away with 'free' internet usage.

BTW, my PFsense box is only a celeron 500 with 128MB of ram and a 4.3GB HDD - you dont need much to make a smoothwall for this job, mines running an adsl2+ connection with no problems.
  5. LenaP New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    Melvis says thanks.
  6. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    you could maybe use internet sharing and then monitor the main box
    make sure that it only monitors the LAN port thats headed out not all of them together!
    Melvis says thanks.