1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

internet not connecting

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Kymberly_S, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I recently reformatted a computer and when I tried to connect to the internet it wouldn't work. The computer is an IBM and I have loaded Windows XP.

All the settings are the same with internet connections as the settings in my other computers in the house but it still wont connect.

Using cable and on ADSL.

Thank you.

2. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Go into your bios and make sure lan is enabled.
    Or you may need to update your drivers for it.

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  3. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    After you reformat your system you need to reinstall the LAN drivers or else the internet won't work.

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  4. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Kymberly_S says thanks.
  6. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok.. so is it this that I need?

v.90 data/fax soft modem driver

The reason I ask is that I am not sure if when I download a LAN driver that it has all the additional 'namage' ?

Ok.. well I downloaded 'above'. It didn't work.. So I downloaded this: 7kra23ww.exe 10,028,528 Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter Software

and installed it on the IBM.. and that didn't do anything.

So then I went to Device Manager so I could right click on network adapters and properties update driver etc.. but... (sigh)

There is:
    Computer
    Disk drives
    DVD/CD-ROM drives
    Floppy disk controllers
    EtFloppy disk drives
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    Keyboards
    Mice and other pointing devices
    Other devices
    .......Ehernet Controller
    .......Multimedia Ausio Controller
    .......Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
    Ports (COM & LPT)
    Processors
    Sound, video and game controllers
    Storage volumes
    System devices
    Universal Serial Bus controllers

Can anyone tell me what to do now please?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  7. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    is it on-board lan or a card? and what's the model no. for the pc? If that's the driver for the model listed on their site you might be able to manually load the driver.

First try to extract your driver files to a folder where you can easily find them, then in device manager right-click and hit properties on the net card > click the driver tab > select update driver > put the "dot" in [install from a list or specific location (advanced)] and click next > select [Don't Search, I will choose the driver to install.] and click next > select network adapters in the list and go next > click on the "have disk" button and then select the driver in that folder you put them in earlier. Then click next and finish the install process and it should work. be sure to set any ip address settings if needed, or just leave it on auto. If you get a message saying "The specified location does not contain any information about your hardware" then you will need to try a different driver.

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  8. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Post up your model and we can check driver for you.

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  9. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    the new hardware wizard should pop up if it's found new hardware (as per normal), if it doesn't then it's been disabled in the BIOS. ideally all you'd need to do once it's been enabled is insert the motherboard disc that comes with the PC then install. the important thing is the wizard should find the correct driver from either a download or from the disc. i recently had trouble installing a LAN driver and i had to search the disc entire until i found the appropriate folder, then i could let the wizard carry out the installation.

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  10. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi and thank you for answering.
    Here is the info I think you need.

IBM
    model number: d3m
    Machine type:8184

Thanks for that..

ALSO... regarding my hubby's computer I am trying to get functioning properly..
    Where would I go to get drivers for..
    Multimedia Video Controller
    Video Controller
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

There are yellow question marks near them in device manager.

Thanks for your help.

11. Gerelt

Thanks Received:
    Try Here
    Then click networking....should be one of those 3 (look at the back of the computer and see if its a card or if its onboard)
    the intel one is for onboard,IBM is for if its a card and the wireless is for if you use wireless.
    About your other question....looks like his video card cant find a driver....would need the brand and model number to help find one.
    Hope it helps

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  12. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    yeah, those items you've listed with a yellow question mark should be resolved with the motherboard discthe fact that all three include "controller" in the name indicates it's an on-board chipset requirement. if you know the make and manufacturer of the motherboard you should be able to find a download location for a chipset driver package.

BTW, have you got the internet working on it yet?

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  13. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually not yet. I have however downloaded the drivers (downloaded the two together on one page in case one wasn't right)

I am just trying to get another issue (of mine and not a friends) fixed..

Sadly I don't have a great deal of time and the more computers I help fix and get out.. the more that come in..

Am going to look at it tonight (the IBM)

Thanks for all your help.

14. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    keep us posted

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  15. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have downloaded the suggested drivers but am not getting anywhere. I have gone to Control Panel>System>Device Manager etc. and right clicked.. tried to get it to find software its self and navigated my way through to install it manually..

Please help me so I can get this computer out of my house.. Then I can install hubbys new CD/DVD burner.. He can get his stuff off the kitchen table... I can focus on my computer which is having graphic card ? issues..

Thank you :)

ps.. sorry for being so whiney.. it's sooo hot here.. heat wave 39 degrees Celsius and been that for a couple of days and it's only Spring.. I just had to pick melted bitumen off of my car.. and it was hot.. and sticky.. and Im hot and my dogs hot .. so.. sorry for being a sook.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  16. quishricap New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kymberly_S says thanks.
  17. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am going to put a sign up on my door and message on answering machine. "No.. I can't fix your computer" simple.. then I would get my stuff done. I am tooooo soft! People can be soooo ... helpless and I just can't help it.. Have to say yes.. but going to have a break now.. I need to do my own things..

18. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    open up the case and write down the make and model # of the motherboard if the ethernet is onboard. (if the ethernet is PCI then write down the make and model for that.) then go to IBMs support site and do a search for that model number. there should be a section for networking and choose the latest drivers for win XP. install them and reboot. when you login to your machine right click on my computer and open up properties and go to device manager. there should be a section for your ethernet. it should be working. if it isnt working then perhaps when you reinstalled windows the ethernet got a new internal IP address from your router and you have some sort of IP restrictions setup.

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  19. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok.. Thank you for helping out .. Am going to go do all that now and hopefully something clicks.. will post back in this window if it works..

Are any of these the numbers.. the box is one that sits under the monitor and the lid swings up (no screws.. yayyy) and there is not a lot of room in there.. This is what I could see. I have a very good camera also that I could use to snap a pic of the mobo if necessary.

0843-008730 then there is a 2 or 3.. cant see then a 7
    MAC 0011251D82F3

Then there is a little black chip on the mobo that says 2AKT 1B M 2004 REV. 46

Are any of these the numbers?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  20. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    there should be some sort of name on the board followed by a set up numbers and maybe letters. it shouldnt be that long tho.

edit: i looked here

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TCTR-MATRIX.html

so maybe you will have better luck if you check on the board for similiarly formatted numbers. ibm does not make it easy!

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  21. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    MAC 0011251D82F3 - this is your ethernet's unique address.

give us a snap of the mobo if you can.

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  22. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
  23. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    unfortunately that pic doesn't show me any useful info. i think i may be able to know how to get some info about your mobo. make sure your screen is turned on before you hit the PC power button then hit the "Pause/Break" (press Return to unpause) button on your keyboard. if you've done it quick enough the screen should freeze on the first display, showing your mobo number along with the name and revision date along the bottom, if it doesn't, then try going into the BIOS itself then see if it displays it there.

Kymberly_S says thanks.
  24. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry.. I don't think this is what you are looking for but I am doing what I can to help you help me..

I tried the pause break button but couldn't catch anything unfortunately.. Not much help there I'm afraid.

I took a photo anyway re bios

http://www.users.on.net/~kymsclan/BIOS.JPG

Don't know if this is helpful.. probably not..

I don't understand why the net just didn't work.. When I formatted my husbands new HDD the internet connected straight away.. ?

I found this site.. I wonder if it is useful?
    http://www.helpdrivers.com/ingles/listado/panel.asp?marca=IBM&perif=redes

Running on the computer is
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Intel (R)
    Pentium(R)
    4 CPU 3.00GHz
    2.99 GHz. 504 MB of RAM

Is there anything else I can provide that will help ?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  25. Kymberly_S New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK.. have installed via usb IBM a program from a site which I have posted in General Hardware.. It has given me the information to a lot in the computer I am trying to fix.. from www.cpuid.com

Will this help to find a driver? I'm not sure which specs to use to find the right one..

Intel i865P/PE/i848P chipset
    Intel 82801EB (ICH5) southbridge
    SMSC SMSC

BIOS IBM brand
    version: 2AKT46AUS
    Date 09/16/2004