1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internet: Short Review and Article Pages Cause Excessive Page Turning

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by TomBrooklyn, May 20, 2012.

1. TomBrooklyn New Member

Thanks Received:

Why do the typical internet product reviews and informative articles consist of many short pages--creating a many paged document that requires a lot of page turns to complete?

Each page turn requires a mouse click which contributes to carpal tunnel syndrome; and each turn requires a wait period for the new page to load, which is a waste of the readers time.

If the time to load a new page is even just 1 second, and it's usually more, even on a fast connection; and that article is read thousands of times, the amount of pure time wasted becomes significant. Additionally, each wait period causes a small, but measurable amount of fatigue in the reader. Cumulatively, this fatigue translates into lower productivity and contributes to reduced performance potential. It also increases frustration, and can lead to psychosis and contribute to other mental illness, with all the attendant ramifications thereof. It can contribute to alcohol and drug use; and anti-social and even criminal behavior.

Conversely, less page turning would increase reader productivity, enhance physical and mental health, and have a positive effect on spiritual happiness. Solutions to relevant issues would be more forthcoming. People would get along better. The goals of world peace, adequate food, and good health for all people, will all become that much closer to attainment.
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    AlienIsGOD and Maban say thanks.
  3. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    I think he's dissing your logically segmented reviews Wiz.

On another note, lolwut?
  4. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    In Short: Less Page Turning will make the World a better place
  5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I think this is spam. We have been getting alot more lately
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    Tl;dr should have split up your post.
  7. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Wizzard your organizations of review content though separate pages is screwing up this world!

And we thought it was those greedy bastards... bah! We found out your dirty trick Wizzard man!
  8. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    wait, what, you're saying no world domination for me?
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  9. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    this is probably spam, but the guy has a point. more page clicks means a decrease in efficiency. it is probably negligible on tpu.
  10. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    With those ramifications you end up sounding like one of those DirecTV commercials.

Aside from the organization, I'm sure multiple pages increases ad revenue for the respective site.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Thus making the owners happy which make them do nice things for the people of the forum making them happy and causing a trickle down effect across the globe.

Boom Roasted.
  12. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Turn the PC off, open your door and go outside, feel that warmth shining on you? the light opening up your eyeballs? that my friend is sunlight, try and get some more of it and stay off the tintawebs.
    Black Panther and erocker say thanks.
  13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry but most of us don't have very long monitors to display these lengths of information you are refering to. In this case we have to use the scroll wheel or click the scroll bar which.. guess what? Requires clicking. The same as clicking "next page" or whatever in whatever article you are reading. The rest of your post is insanity, especially with the contribution to alcohol and drug use. If you are fatigued reading on the internet, you have some serious issues. First and foremost, get off the internet.. Now. Then go outside. You know, that big place outside your home/apartment/hole that is full of plants and sky and stuff? Stretch out, get some exercise and let the sun infiltrate your pale, soft blubbery skin. It's going to be tough at first, but darn it you can do it! Who knows, if you keep doing it, you'll get in shape, women will start to notice you and your crazy notions of how the internet is killing you will pass like the fat streaming off your double cheesesteak eating body. You could be known as the fitness king of Brooklyn if you work hard at it, adored by all. It's up to you really.

Best of luck and Godspeed.

-erocker :toast:

You and me are brothers from a different mother. Big bro-fist coming your way!
    Black Panther and NdMk2o1o say thanks.
  14. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    WOW !!!
    Clicking to get another page causes mental health issues. Hooda thunk??

I guess we should go back to reading from continuous scrolls instead of books because having to turn the page could make you a drug user. :rolleyes:
  15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I agree that it can be somewhat frustrating to have to keep clicking through all the pages and some web sites offer a paid premium option, where the article shows up as one single page, but to say it leads to alcohol, drug use, anti-social and even criminal behavior is frankly,

BULLSHIT