1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internet useless when uploading

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by lyndonguitar, Aug 19, 2014.

1. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    I just had my main DSL modem replaced by the ISP because the old one was having problems, they replaced it with a new model(with wifi) and I connected it to my Wi-fi Router(ASUS brand, that uses a dd-wrt firmware)

Everything works fine, I can browse and game as usual, except when I upload things, on facebook, youtube, etc, there's a problem.

I get disconnected from everything else. Steam goes offline, I can't browse any website, My games get disconnected, raidcall gets disconnected, it looked like I had no internet. the only thing that was working was the upload itself, I have to wait until the upload is finished until I can start using the internet again. I cancel the upload and everything goes back to normal, so I'm 100% sure it's the uploading that's causing it. and It's not just me, everyone in our network 'loses connection'

I need help

things I did.
    Reset my router
    Changed DNS
    Changed IP
    Restarted PC
    I did a speedtest and nothing unusual

EDIT: Turned off everything for 5 minutes and tested it again, it seems ok, for now

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    dd-wrt firmware is a third party firmware correct? If so, possibly returning router to factory defaults i.e original bios etc. Just a thought, this one seems odd, also Did u mean they replaced Your Modem? Cuz you mentioned two routers, unless your boosting,or the like with double routers. I personally would break the chain of devices down to the simplest configuration, and work from there.

It just seems odd, that You dont get disconnected during gaming, which is doing some uploading during MP games...

4. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, yeah, I meant they replaced my old DSL modem with a new model, with wifi built in, so it's also a router, but they help me set it up(bridged mode) so I could still use my main router

I have been using dd-wrt for years on that router, so no problems on that firmware

I will try plugging in the PC to the DSL modem directly and see what happens

5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Same thing, I suspect. I believe it is due to the nature of DSL (upload has priority).

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    If your modem has wifi and you have it connected to another router with wifi then you are most likely double NAT and that could cause problems. Figure out if you can turn off the router portion of the ISPs modem and give the public IP to the WAN of the Asus router.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I had to upgrade my connection for better upload.. Stingy ISP only has 50 Mbps download but only 3 Mbps upload. Prev was 22/1.2