1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internet won't work after upgrading to XP from 2000.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by SeanC, Feb 28, 2010.

1. SeanC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone,

I'm hopin' for a little help here. My system has been running Windows 2000 since the day I made the computer, almost eight years ago. I decided it was time to obviously upgrade to another O/S and my friend gave me his XP installation discs because he was using Windows 7 now. However, when I installed XP (everything went fine) I saw I couldn't use my broadband internet anymore. I tried releasing and renewing the IP but got a "RCP Server Unavailable" message. Windows 2000 is still on the system (I can choose between the two on start-up) and the Internet works fine on it.

Also, when I use the 'connection wizard/new connection' feature in the Network Settings of XP nothing happens. I go through the process "choose connection --> broadband ---> always connected" but nothing happens, no new connection even shows up in the folder (which is weird).

What's the deal?
  2. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you install the network adapter driver?
    SeanC says thanks.
  3. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's gotta be it. I did that once...when I was 12? :laugh:

Check your device manager.
    SeanC says thanks.
  4. SeanC New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I don't think so. But shouldn't it automatically be detecting these settings?
  5. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows installation cant possibly know every piece of hardware in the world right out of the box (after a fresh installation) so manual driver installation is most often required
    SeanC says thanks.
  6. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope. It shouldn't. Did you use a OEM disk? Just check it anyways....

EDIT: dang, you beat me. lol
    SeanC says thanks.
  7. SeanC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I would imagine that's true but I didn't delete any of the data off the drive. I installed overtop the pre-existing information (which I know isn't ideal but I was afraid of losing things the first time around installing). I think I have a Realtrek RTL 8139 (A). I'm not sure which driver to download, though, as there are "C", etc.

Also, I find it odd that when I do a "ipconfig" check it shows the DNS suffix but won't detect any IP, etc. Is that connected to the driver issue?

Thanks!
  8. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes......or you could just look for the yellow '?' in the device manager...would you like directions to it?
    SeanC says thanks.
  9. SeanC New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I know how to look for it in the device manager. Can I automatically update the driver from there?

Yeah, I know this is basic stuff but bear with me :rolleyes:
  10. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Best would be to go the the motherboard manufactures site to look for the drivers assuming you have a onboard network adapter
    SeanC says thanks.
  11. SeanC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I did that but it's a little confusin'. I have Reaktek RTL8139, as I said, and it is onboard. I just want to make sure I get the right one and it's a little confusing with the whole "A, B, C" issue.

If I go into WinXP and choose 'update driver' from the Device Manager sub-menu, will it find the driver already in the system (which is being used, without issue, for Windows 2000)? I don't really want two seperate drivers running with two seperate OS on the one system/computer.
  12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The driver is not already on your system, you have to download it and install it yourself.

The driver for Windows XP is likely different than the driver for 2000, in case you are thinking it should already be there from the 2000 install.

What motherboard are you using?

Either way this is probably what you want: ftp://152.104.238.19/cn/nic/PCI_Install_XP_2K_5719_11202009.zip
    SeanC says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  13. SeanC New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I went to the Device Manager it said that the Network Adapter was fine that the driver installed was fine, as well, and didn't need to be replaced. It's reading the DNS but just doesn't want to give me an IP. So it's obviously detecting something, unless I am wrong. I'm not saying you are all wrong, either, I'm just trying to give all the information I can.

It's really strange because I have to reinstall my mouse each time I start XP, too. I've never had that happen before with 2000 or any other system.

That link no workie. :ohwell:
  14. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    give us your system specs mobo (full) and a screen show of your device manager with the network adapter field expanded please.
    SeanC says thanks.
  15. SeanC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Screen shot is attached.

How do I give a full listing of my specs? (I know, I know).

Could any of this be due to installing two OS on the same drive? Should I have done a clean installation even though I worry now about being stuck with no Internet if I had done that?

Attached Files:

16. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a picture of Windows 2000´s device manager we need Windows XP´s
    SeanC and Solaris17 say thanks.
  17. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    you said u can still boot into windows 2000 which means you didnt overwrite it. as for the SS does your mobo have 2 ethernet jacks? if so switch them...if not what service pack are u running?
    SeanC says thanks.
  18. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    didnt catch that good eye

as for system download CPU-Z and show me the motherboard tab
    SeanC says thanks.
  19. SeanC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry. It's 4am here and I'm a little tired :wtf: It should be attached now.

Done and done.

Yeah, I know; it's still sitting there on the C:\ along side XP. Which I wonder if it is part of the problem because I've never seen an OS but this wonky before. I don't know which service pack I am running; the highest one that Windows will let me with Windows 2000. XP? I don't know which service pack. Sorry.

Attached Files:

20. Solaris17

Thanks Received:

for service pack

Start>control panel>system it will say it in the first tab were it says who it is registered to. give me ascreen shot but before that install these in the order of the links. rebooting when prompted

Chipset Driver

LAN driver

if installing these does not fix the issue please attach the requested service pack screenshot
  21. richjordan255

richjordan255 New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried doing a ping in command prompt to see if the connection is there, just click start > run > typ "cmd" in there type ping www.google.com

it will tell you if it can send and recieve data, if it can it could be the windows firewall try disabling it for a minute to try the net

as silly as it sounts try going into internet options > connections > local area network settings. when in there just make sure "Automatically detect settings" is ticked
    SeanC and Solaris17 say thanks.
  22. SeanC New Member

Thanks Received:
    It wouldn't even let me install the second set of files (for the Network Adapter/LAN) in XP. It said "RPC Server" and 'error', I believe. And, just to point it out again, I have to reinstall my mouse everytime I boot-up XP (as though it's not saving my settings when I restart).

I'm headin' to bed but will get the Service Pack info in the morning!

It wasn't originally but then I ticked it. No difference. Then I came to the board, here.
  23. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    intresting i have a clue we will work on it tommarrow

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
    This is for my use
    SeanC says thanks.
  24. SeanC New Member

Thanks Received:
    What's the clue and what do 'we' do? :toast: