1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Investing in a 27" Monitor 2560x1440 worthwhile?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Huddo93, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi TPU Members!

Audio / Visual hardware is really one of my weak points when it comes to understanding where the market is heading and what we are to expect in the next few years.

So i've got a few queries on if it worthwhile money wise / resolution wise / size wise investing in a 2560x1440 monitor.

My issue is, will this sort of resolution become more mainstream in a years or so time? because at the moment the price difference between 1080p and 1440p is pretty damn massive. 2-3x the price, and if prices are most likely to drop in about a year would it be worthwhile waiting till then? If its predicted that prices wont move to much in a year or 2's time ill seriously consider investing in a 2560x1440 monitor.

Also, are there any definite price/performance winners in this screen size / resolution bracket? because I'm finding it rather difficult to pick what brands perform better than others.

The uses for my monitor will mainly be gaming, along with a small bit of CAD work to go along with my University studies.

Thanks for any help on this guys!
  2. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Since some weeks we see more focus on bigger screens, so yes, todays cheap standard sizes will vanish and bigger better screens will become cheaper and more varied. In one year it will be unbelievable! ;)
    Huddo93 says thanks.
  3. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    my yamakasi catleap was only $350 from dcsamsung mall off ebay.

0 dead pixels. 0 stuck pixels. 0 dust behind the glass. no ghosting. best colors and picture i have ever seen, and free ship no tax. xD
    Huddo93 says thanks.
  4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I can 2nd this... have a look here: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162310
    Huddo93 says thanks.
  5. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    I had a special 23-inch samsung with a very high resolution I can not remember but it was like 2048 x 1155.

When gaming under video options you can not find the entry that indicates that you can use that resolution. And I remember a few games of last generation supported it but fatigued my graphics card that had a GTX 295 unnecessarily.

Because of CONSOLE PORTS GAMES !

Those resolutions suitable for those who work with the PC and not for gamers.

I advise you not to take anything like that, think only larger but staying in standard resolutions.
  6. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh wow, Ill definitely look into it. Would be a nice upgrade to go along with my GTX680 once Australia gets more stock! >.<'