1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ion/Atom VS. 785G/PII

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Nosada, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Nosada

Nosada

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,

Been reading up on both Ion and 785G and I can pretty much build either on a sub 400€ budget (monitor included). 785G setup would be roughly 20~30~€ more expensive, so I've been wondering about how the 9400 in the Ion compares to the 4200 in the 785G. Anyone know of any comparisons floating around on the web, or how they relate from firsthand experience?

Thanks,
    Nos

Edit: Either of these builds would go towards grandparents who'd use it for e-mail/surfing + their grandkids that stay over on a regular basis and do a bit of light gaming (think Freddy Fish and the likes, though the oldest one will soon be switching over to slightly more graphical games)
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    for one i'd opt for the 785g simply because the processor is WAY better than the pos atom. My friend has an atom in his laptop/netbook......slow and crappy. Definitely go with the 785g. The GPU will be fine for lowest settings in games as well. Though....a very cheap upgrade would be well worth it.

EDIT: best GPU i can find for the money, Sapphire HD 4650 this is just an after thought as u said the oldest will probly be getting into more graphical games.

EDIT: nvm :p i just now saw your from belgium. idk how prices go there but an HD 4650 i'm sure would be the cheapest/best option where u live as well.
  3. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    get the 785G/PII combo
    why? you can put a Athlon II 250 in it or a Quad Core Phenom II 965
    btw the ion/atom combo is severly limited ;)
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    785 + AM II for sure.

sure it'll use a bit more power, but it has more power and better features.

The radeon 3200 IGP matches a radeon 3450 desktop model, and the 4200 is the same thing only clocked higher.