1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iPad 3rd 64gb or iPad 4th 32gb which would you buy

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trt740, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Which would you buy?

1. iPad 3rd Generation 64gb $499.00

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. iPad 4th Generation 32gb $559.00

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I dislike the ipads strongly, and no standard user would notice a huge difference between the ipad 3rd and 4th generation process speeds at all in honesty. I would obviously persoally roll with an android, but in this case with no other option, the cheaper ipad with bigger storage.

trt740 says thanks.
  2. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I have addressed this already. iPads are required as a part of the curiculum. :D I do like windows tablets. In particular, I like the Samsung Windows Tablets, and I have a laptop and PC. But literally, this professor requires iPads.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  3. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    I go for a Nexus 7 or better yet a new Playbook that will outperform n outclass any iPad to date.

4G LTE BlackBerry® PlayBook™ 32GB or
    Google Nexus 7, 32GB. Price is similar between the two I think.

4. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Hey , thanks! However, iPads are required for the class. I like the Nexus but it does me zero good here.

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah sorry! I didn't catch that before. Tell your professor hes a noob. :laugh:

With that being said I would go for the cheaper one. More space and its not like you will be gaming........that would get in the way of your studies. :laugh:

Super XP and trt740 say thanks.
  6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I'm still rooting for the 4th gen here. My iPod touch 2nd gen was rendered obsolete 2 years after release (only got to iOS 4.0.3) and the 3rd gen got updated to 5.1.1. This is why I like buying the latest version of a device, and I doubt you would have more than 32GB worth of class materials to put on it all at once, do you?

trt740 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I had a 16 gb iPad and did fill it up and one class carries over material from one to the other, but I might be able to get by with 32gb. I am really not sure here. I doubt I could use the iPad for anything but class. This may have just pushed it over the top. Great discussion here and very thought provoking. I certainly cannot afford a 64gb 4th generation and gaming will be secondary. This is why I looked so hard at Androids. Now, I have heard of Bluetooth hard drives for iPads but how well they work is the question, and I do not want to buy drop box space. If Apple ever releases a SD slot Android might be in trouble. However, if not for Android, a 3rd generation 64gb iPad would have been way too expensive for me. The price dropped 150.00 this month because of the Android Tablets like the Nexus.

FYI a 3rd generation 32gb is 459.99 http://www.microcenter.com/product/387332/iPad_(3rd_Generation)_32GB_Wi-Fi_White

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  8. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    My mother-in-law has a new decked out ASUS Transformer, and it's a lot more sluggish to use than my Wife's 2nd gen iPad, hair pullingly so. Obviously, the overpowered Tegra makes little difference. The same can be said for my Wife's iPhone 4s compared to my non-rooted RAZR MAXX. Everyone likes to hate on Apple, mostly for good reasons, but their shit is pretty snappy and sleek even with all the iJunk installed.

9. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    What? Required for your class? Why on earth would they use overpriced hardware. And if you require a tablet, the student should be able to choose what they want due to there finances.

10. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    I would never buy any tablet that costs more than 80$
    I bought an android tablet and it opens everything you might think of.
    I even managed to play GTA III running perfectly.
    If you want more storage you can add a sd card which make things open even faster. (depends on the card model)
    HD video playback, ebook readers like pdf, everything needed.
    For a mere cost of 70$ + 7$ shipping.
    I don't know if they sell them this cheap anymore, since the seller where I bought it, begun selling them for 175$.

One of my friends is already complaining about his apple products and I told him not to buy one.

11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
  12. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:

Hey guys, thanks for the impute! However, if you would read the thread before you post you would have seen the numerous times these issue have been addressed. Thanks for the posts but again I Do Not Need An Android !!!!!! I love Android but cannot use one:banghead:

qubit says thanks.
  13. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    I bet you're getting tired of typing this.

Any way my $0.02.
    As I agree with everyone (windows, or android) is my preference but cleary the choice comes down to a 3 or a 4.

Since you havea 3 already, is there really a need to spend the extra cash for the newer 4? Sure the process and GPU is faster but so will the next iPad which who knows when apple will decide to spring on us.

I say keep your three, wait for a newer model if you're stuck on the apple road.

trt740 says thanks.
  14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Oh duh! Sorry about that. :eek: I think I read your OP a little too fast, lol.

trt740 says thanks.
  15. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I agree!!! But I needed the discussion to get there thanks. As a overclocker, I always want the fastest but in this case more storage seems to be my best choice with moderate performance.

FYI, I am stuck in the Apple mud for now, balls deep, against my will!!! I want an Infinity Pad!

Thanks to everyone who posted. I have all I need for now. You guys are great:respect::D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    AsRock, freaksavior and qubit say thanks.
  16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    For what it's worth, I've now voted for the 4th gen model. :) I generally prefer having the latest model, unless there's something obviously inferior about it compared to the older one eg Windows 8 and Metro/no Start menu and no Aero.

trt740 says thanks.
  17. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I had a 3rd gen until I eBayed it and bought a 4th gen on Black Friday because I'm getting an iPhone 5 as soon as tomorrow, just need to wait until my sis can source out a white Note II for herself. The only reason I upgraded was because I wanted a unified connector across my mobile devices, and between the BF sale price and the 5% cash back on my Chase credit card, I might have made money upgrading. There really isn't much of a speed difference, the 3rd gen is plenty fluid. If you can get the 3rd gen with more storage for a lower price, go for it. Just make sure you don't have to invest in a 30pin>lightning connector adaptor.

I was once an ignorant Apple hater, but their products and customer service have converted me.

Sent from my Macbook Air ;)