1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IPod Nano Ignites; Engulfs User's Trousers in Flames

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Oct 8, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    An American airport worker was minding his own business and doing his job when all the sudden, he felt what he describes as a "burning sensation" coming from his pocket. He looked down, and saw a huge jet of flames streaming out of his pants. He was promptly "freaked out" when said jet of flames started licking the rest of his pants. Fortunately he was able to put out the fire before the fire did serious harm, but the point remains. Are iPod Nanos the next exploding laptop? The actual cause of the fire remains an utter mystery, and Apple already shipped a replacement unit for the unfortunate airport worker, who had this to say about the whole experience.
    Source: Vnunet
  2. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    companies like this really should invest in some grade A components.
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Whole story sounds a bit stretched to me. :wtf:

Imagine the emotional trama of possibly being mistaken for a terrorist. I bet there's more money in that, than a spilt hot coffee at MacDonalds.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm sure bursting into flame and running around screaming wouldnt get you labelled a terrorist, but you WOULD get detained until they figured it out.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

thats great think he sues apple?
  6. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    heh sometimes you get shot on sight.. security is trained to kill, all it takes for a terroist to detonate a bomb is a press of a button, that why security is trained for kill shots.

A while back some Brazilain got killed in London for jumping over a railing trying to catch a subway train. Im not sure if he was told to stop or not but Im pretty sure it was prob a subway at an airport.
  7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    No,

1./ The guy was shot dead
    2./ He was not a terrorist
    3./ He was just using the subway
    4./ HE was being chased by plain clothes security forces, and was terrified. Had no idea what was going on
    5./ He DID NOT jump the rail... that was just some early "media spin" as a police cover up, in an attempt to get away with that horrible cover-up line: "he acted like a terrorist so we treated him like a terrorist". Security cameras of the subway station showed he entered the station with a valid ticket
    6./ Nothing to do with airports, but a security FUCK UP. They were watching a "high security" house in a nearby street and got confused with who was who.
    7./ And then they shot him

AWEFUL SITAUATION. Very embarassing for all us of English, to think that OUR INTELLGIENCE SERVICES are so f**** stupid and killed this poor guy. Who is next?

You know, that's the ONLY positive thing about all these security cameras everywhere. They arent for catching the terrorists, but for catching the police blunders (and their cover up lies).
    Chewy says thanks.
  8. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    Correct lemonadesoda. I believe he was shot 7 times in the face and once in the shoulder. At a relatively close range. Which would mean there was not much left of his head. (Police admitted to using hollow point bullets.) It was said his body was "unrecognizable", which is PR for: He has no effing head left!

One of the reasons given by the police for trailing and confirming him as a terrorist/bomber was because, and I quote, He "had Mongolian eyes"

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the western civilization.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  9. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    American airports have hidden snipers targeting specious people, this guy is quite a lucky guy they weren't feeling a little trigger happy on that day.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  10. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    Even that has now been found to be false. After people were showed CCTV footage their memories of the events suddenly changed again. It has put into perspective the amount of trust we should place in eye-witness accounts. the man was only running- that was it. The jumping of the security railing, puffy jacket, holding something inside his jacket, pushing people aside, and "dodgy look" were all found to just be figments of people's imagination after they were told he was a terrorist. What we "see" and what we interpret as what we see are obviously two very different things.
  11. jurrasstoil New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, from lighting up ipod nano to gettin shot in the face several times for running...
    i guess this went offtopic in some way...
  12. qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

Thanks Received:
    absolutly jurrasstoil.
    interesting posts i must say, altho about the origional topic,
    this fella is very and i stress VERY lucky not to be seriously injured,
    and i wonder what the exact cause was i was chatting just now to a collegue about this stopy and he told me that a button on the nano melted, was their a short circuit or somthing? also, isnt the contence of a battery non-flammable?
    then again im not too sure.

as for the shooting topic, well;
    incompotence should be serverly punishable. those terrorable security guards killed a completely innocent person from what ive been reading. how unfortunate is the world we live in if you can be killed over suspicion, or because of shifty eyes.
    :shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu
  13. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Im sorry, this is just so freaking funny...this would make a great april fools joke, if it werent true :(
  14. bassmasta Guest

you remember a while back when a US smart bomb hit a mud and rock village? the guy who put 52 instead of 25 into the bomb's guidance computer was NOT DISCHARGED. He still serves in the military. that's anti-terrorism.
  15. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
  16. bassmasta Guest

was that a stick with a nail in it?
  17. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    An iPod catching on fire?

I suppose I should save up for a Philips mp3 player instead (My uncle has one, and its really nice).
  18. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    wow... I'm REALLY getting sick of batteries blowing up!!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. jurrasstoil New Member

Thanks Received:
    True. Battery = Deathtrap
    I have an ipod shuffle, 2 laptops and a nokia cellphone. not one of them blew up so far, but my toaster blew up - no surprise: it was a SONY.

I'm kinda confused I didn't read anything about "Sueing" in the news :rolleyes: I mean: c'mon, it's America.
  20. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its only a matter of time before this man does file a lawsuit if Apple doesnt buy him new pants in addition to the new NANo they gave him.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Also Sony makes toasters?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Good god . There is no God that could protect us from Sony
  21. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol you serious?
  22. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    For the guy being shot.

Stop. That is it. Simple. Not hard. Very Easy.

If you run you will be shot, I have always been a fan of this. Let the criminal run away to do something else wrong? No. Shoot the bastard.

If you are innocent, then stop. Simple. Easy. Not hard. If you run away, well the gene pool needed cleansed at your end.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  23. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    People run when they are scared.
  24. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Yep. Part of being human.
  25. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    the guy was never told to stop though, first news reports were wrong.
    http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brazili...ondon_Underground_was_not_acting_suspiciously

But mistakes happen I dont hold this against anyone.. I believe it was headquarters that told an agent to kill him I believe was an article in the paper today about it today.. it was a total mess after one guard grabbed and held onto the guy some other undercover came up and shot the guy 7 times in the head.. than the guard/agent who was holding the guy got detained by some undercovers aswell.. so it was a mess.

heres the newspaper article I read today.
    http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=69565&sc=89

Edit: your absolutely right though people who run from the law knowing their being chased, should be shot shortly after.
    Also this was a case of mistaken identity that shouldn't of happened, but tensions were high and the people behind the camera lost track of who they were watching and mistaken this guy for him.

A bit off the actual topic, but still a good learning/awareness discussion.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007