1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Irql_not_less_or_equal

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Jun 7, 2011.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    So I have this clients PC that blue screens and gives a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP 0x0000000A error message. Error Goblin (link in sig) says the following:

And I have NO IDEA what the hell that means. It has wrapped around my head 5 times and caused it to explode. Ive ran memtest for 7 and a half hours and it didnt find any errors. I will probably run it again overnight just to be safe. Ive also cleaned out the computer with an air compressor and checked the hard drive for bad sectors are none are to be found.

Im trying like hell to avoid reinstalling Windows but it seems unlikely.

Im going to try updating some drivers and see what happens. Some of the drivers on this computer date back to 2007.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

EDIT:

Alright so it doesnt look like ill be able to get onto the internet to do anything because nearly every time i try, i get the BSOD. Format seems imminent.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Windows XP?

More info in the MSKB.

So if memtest didn't find anything I'd say format and hope for the best. After that it's HDD's, motherboard, CPU etc. "General hardware problems" are not fun. :(
  3. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Is there a .exe or .dll or something mentioned in the BSOD?
  4. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Oh yes, Bluescreenview is an excellent tool for looking at BSOD's. It puts everything in nice columns with detailed information about everything.

EDIT: You find that info in the event viewer too btw.
    Thrackan says thanks.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    those error messages are misleading, unstable hardware (usually RAM) is the leading cause for IRQ not equal errors.
  6. Frick

Thanks Received:
    it is, but he ran memtest for 7 hours and memory errors have shown themselves by then.
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    memtest isnt infallible. you can still have related issues like an overheating northbridge cause memory problems, without memtest showing it up.
  8. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    True, but if the same DLL fails over and over again, it's absolutely worth looking into that, especially if you don't have any spare RAM.
    Mussels says thanks.
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yes, definitely if it shows the same error repeatedly. its when they're random you know its something else.
  10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    what os you are on? and how many rams do you use
    maybe it could be traced from that
  11. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    Lolz have the same problem but with windows 7 xd , my shitty memmory controller is dead, i can't run dual channel and also not 1066mhz. But when i do mem test it's stable in single mode(dual channel it won't boot at all)

I get a bleuscreen when starting pc, after restart in windows and i go on the internet i get a bleu screen , but when i start a game after i'm in windows it runs fine, but i don't care i let that shitty thing do that and upgrade to x79 when it comes out:p
  12. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    OS is windows vista 32 bit. I ended up just formatting the computer because i couldnt browse the internet for very long or install anything without getting a BSOD.

And it was the same error code over and over. I figured out that this was the same install of windows since the day he got the machine (whenever that was) It has a phenom quad core with 3GB of ram.

So far ive been surfing the internet and installing apps without any hassle.

Stupid question inc. I had to replace the exhast fan in the back of the computer but the fan i replaced it with doesnt have a 3 pin connector to plug into the motherboard. Now it keeps spitting out a message about that fan and i need to press F2 to continue. Is it possible to just short it with a jumper to bypass the message? (theres no place that i can find in the bios to disable the fan checks. gogo prebuilt computers)
  13. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    No offense, but I hate it when someone posts a question for help, mentions he doesn't want to format, then gets a ton of help and replies that he did a format.
  14. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    what about lowering you ram speed?
  15. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Usually memory or driver issues. I had a graphics card that the memory was clocked too high and caused these errors.
    Can be an issue with the operating system too but unlikely.

EDIT: It can be caused by graphics drivers or system devices try just installing different drivers for your graphics but ive heard of sound cards and wifi causing these errors some driver problems. Device IRQ, but it shouldn't be a problem since windows is plug and play, thats why drivers can be the issue.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  16. Dbiggs9

Thanks Received:
    I have had that same error, Fix by replacing ram and upping volts where needed. Took me about 30-40 bsod before i solved it, also got that shortly before my Board died due to a failed memory controller.
  17. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    :( scary, i never think bout that. it scared me :wtf:
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:

do NOT attempt to short anything to bypass the RPM sensor. that wont go well.

just buy a replacement fan with an RPM sensor, make him pay for it if he doesnt want to hit F2 every boot.
  19. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Well its not like i was getting a ton of replies at the time. I did the format before i got the replies. So no offense, shit happens.

Its impossible with this bios.

Tested the memory and it seemed fine and I coudlnt download or install anything even in safe mode where i didnt get a BSOD.

Upping volts are impossible. So far things seem to be going well after the format hopefully its just a bad windows install after x amount of years.
    I figured as much. I figured id ask for a second opinion first before i actually did it.

Thanks guys.
  20. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    try pulling that x-fi mine used to do that on my old asus p5 board
  21. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Its not my computer, its a clients.