1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is a OEM OS worth buying?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GLD, Dec 30, 2006.

1. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    I see that right now MS is offering some express upgrade coupons to Vista, with some OEM XP OS's. I am thinking of shelling out the $140 for a OEM copy of XP just to get that Vista upgrade coupon.
    What are the pro's and con's of OEM. Im not looking for con's for Vista, just the pro's and con's of OEM.
    Thanks.

2. Gwargor New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. ChaoticBlankness

ChaoticBlankness New Member

Thanks Received:
    Let's put it this way.... it's cheaper. Cheaper = Good

However I don't believe you can upgrade from an OEM disc, only a fresh install.

4. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    OEM you gotta buy with hardware, and also you dont get the full phone support that ms gives retail copys(who cares)

honestly, the vista your gonna get as an upgrade is gonna be a home style os not what most geeks will want, it will be a striped down ver, or they will let you pay to get a higher version like ultimet(the only "good" version) honestly im not gonna bother with vista unless ms gives it to me free or i can aquier a copy free somehow ;)

5. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    in my exp it depends on the disk, OEM like newegg sells u normly can, if they are OEM dell then its probbly fresh install only, but then again, you can alwase work around such limitations, i have done it many times ;)

6. ChaoticBlankness

ChaoticBlankness New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine is a newegg, so i guess it might work. To be honest though, i prefer a fresh install over an upgrade so it doesn't really matter to me.

I'd say it's better to save for Ultimate for when DX10 games start coming out, but that's me. So there you have it GLD, it's your call now man.

7. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    With an OEM would the OS be stuck to that build? I have heard some say that it will be stuck with the original hardware. That is what I don't want, to have to call MS in India and jump through hoops just to get my OS activated after a hardware change and format. Or to find out im SOL. Is it really possible? I know it is with the upgrade products, I have done that. Hoping someone has actual knowledge with OEM and hardware changes. I want to save some $ and go the express upgrade to Vista route now, with the option to carry over my OS when I swap out my motherboard.

8. Gwargor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've heard of newegg selling OEM WinXP with like a cheap power adapter to work around that loophole.

9. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    xp OEM is linked to the peice of hardware you buy it with, if you sell/giveaway/move that peice of hardware to another box you are sposta move that copy of windows or buy a new one.(read the EULA)

vista is worse, read the vista EULA, its not pretty, infact its NASTY, vista is linked to the first system its installed on, u get like 5 or 6 acctivations b4 u gotta call ms and begg them to let you acctovate again, if they deide not to, you can use ur one os transfer(like selling it to another person) to reacctovate it, that will give you another 5-6 times u can acctovate taht copy/key.

its a nasty peice of work to try and force people who upgrade alot to buy many copys of vista!!!

10. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/oem-recover-retail.htm

this one is funny

the manufacturer is you (the builder of the unit)...lol! so when you call for technical support, just call your own phone number.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006