1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is an Apple Cinema Display (2009 model) worth $650?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hv43082, Oct 2, 2010.

?

Is an Apple Cinema Display 30 in (2 dead pixels and no stand) worth $650?

1. Yes

39.3%
  2. No

60.7%
  1. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    Found this 30 in. display on Craigslist for $500 but...

It has 2 dead pixels. One is 3 in from the center and the other is 10 in from the center. Found them via dead pixel tester. Otherwise I did not notice them in desk top. Also there is a 1 in scratch about 4-5 in from the center. It's more noticeable than the 2 pixels.

It has no stand but does come with an 3M ergonomic stand. I think it's missing some components because it does not fit so far.

So your thoughts and any recommendations on where I can get a stand. Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Honestly not sure, anyone with more monitor knowlege willing to chime in wether these are worth the markup or if ur jus paying for that gay apple logo
  3. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Well if you dont care about the dead pixels a 30 inch apple display for that much is pretty damn good, I'd get it but I care way to much about dead pixels especially when I find it then I cant stop looking away from that direction lol my new tv is a good example, I see how good it is from afar then i move in closer only to see! 1 dead pixel, now I keep looking at the direction even from a far.....but enough about me I say go for it, I have them at my school 30 inch displays everywhere and I love them they're big for whatever you want to do! you have my vote
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    This is the reason you don't do that test imo. :p

I still think it's a bit pricey, but it's a good monitor with awesome resolution.
  5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    That's dirt cheap for a 30" IPS panel. Those 2 dead pixels would drive me batty tho. lol.
  6. Frick

Thanks Received:
    You see, that's why you shouldn't do those tests! If you don't notice them during normal use, why would you look for them?

EDIT: And that no stand thing I don't think matter much, it's VESA compatible afaik.
  7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I avoid those tests like the plague. Once I find a dead pixel, I can't help but notice it all the time. The one 10" from center might not bother me, but that one 3" from center would kill me. I'm OCD tho.

As for a stand, just search for a VESA stand. make sure it supports 30" panels. You can get them starting around $40 and up. With a 30", if your desk is against a wall, it might be worth it to consider a wall mount, to clear up desk space, as the 30" is a monster. lol.
  8. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    Update: Now I find a 1 in scratch on the screen 4-5 in from the center. More noticeable than the dead pixel. However, the nice lady said she would give give me a discount of $150 making the final price $500. Now is it reasonable?

I also found another person selling a 30 in Apple cinema display (with stand, no dead pixel, 2.5 yrs old) for $700. This might be negotiable. Should I spend a little more and not having to deal with the dead pixel, scratch, and VESA mount trouble?
  9. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'd go with either the 500 still worth it in my opinion unless that scratch is gonna bother you. but the 700 comes with a better condition, I'd say why don't you try to bargain with the person thats selling the 700 one and see if you can get it down to at least the price you were gonna buy the other one for, but if he isn't gonna reduce the price....its 50 dollars more for the same model with no dead pixels, a stand, and no scratches right?

edit:I dont know which model that is btw you have a picture or a link to the seller?
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I think both are fairly decent deals. I'd pay more to get a perfect panel, no questions, though.

I sitll have two years left on the "accidental damage replacement" warranty on my 3008WFP. doesn't apple have something similar? I wonder if you could warranty a used panel?
  11. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    So it's actually:
    1. $500 but 2 dead pixels, 1 in scratch, no stand, and 1+ yr old.
    2. $650 (may be negotiable) no dead pixel, with stand, and 2.5 yr old.

The models are practically the same but vary by 1 yr of usage.
  12. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    go with $700 one, because it have better condition, if i find this display for $700 i won't think twice, i will buy it immediately, because Apple really makes beautiful display, and i love mate finish and i hate glossy display like recent one
  13. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    Nope, the warranty ran out and Apple wants $180 for a another stand alone :eek:. Conversation ended right after that.
  14. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    Update: the seller of the perfect panel dropped price down to $650. I'm going with it. It would be funny if the seller of the lesser panel drop the price down even more.
  15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    its definitely worthless. why pay so much money for that junk? and its APPLE!

bargain wit the seller. tell him no ones gonna buy that junk so he might as well give it to you for throwaway price.
  16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    True words of ignorance right there. Apple makes some of the best displays on the market.

And I agree with going with the perfect one for a little extra money.
  17. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    hey everyone knows you are an apple fanboy and you know that i hate apple. :D
  18. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    Well the perfect one is not so perfect after all. The screen has some scratches and the color is uneven. God, I hate craigslist sellers...wasting both my time and their time with dishonest posting.
  19. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    dont forget your dual link dvi cables to drive that beast
  20. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    when I went to a pc shop the imac 24 inch they had did have a nice monitor. however that is an all-in-one pc so that was bleh.

it's funny because even on apple's own site the reviews for this apple cinema display weren't all that great. the response times were complaints as well as the glossyness of the screen was hard for others to cope with.

there are some NECs that are 300 some on new egg I think and there's a 500 dollar one that has pretty good reviews. I gotta bring up the favs from the other pc to find out the specifics but those are much cheaper and use the IPS panels. however some of them have a 14 ms response time so that would suck for gaming.

apple cinema displays have like 12-16 ms response time which is not good for gaming. my samsung syncmaster (non IPS but still awesome) is 2ms G2G response time. my model is P2350 if you wanna know. I game a good bit and I also do graphics design, so its a fair balance the contrast ratio is actually pretty good on this one. I fell in love when I saw it at the shop I went to.

I went from an LG 19inch w1952TQ and I notice a lot more detail in images and I notice some retouching I need to redo now becuase the LG didn't pick it up LOL.

But Samsung makes pretty good displays. so does viewsonic and some LGs. I prefer those three brands, however some video editors recommended Planar, BenQ, and HannsG as well as Panasonic Pro. You may want to give the latter brands a try.

I hope I've been helpful!! ;)
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  21. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
    remixedcat says thanks.
  22. Frick

Thanks Received:
    This post makes me sad. You're irrational, and wrong.

And maybe the main usage wont be gaming?

Also, frikkin' 2560 x 1600.
  23. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    If you hate apple don't put any energy into hating them. I used to do this but I stopped and I feel much better. Putting energy towards hating things isn't productive.
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  24. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Either post on topic or I will be handing out festive points for the upcoming fall holidays.
    digibucc and de.das.dude say thanks.
  25. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i posted that link on GN so that remixed cat would come here! LOL

anyhow, as i said it earlier. paying a whopping amount for something broken is'nt justified.