1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is Apple's iPad the future?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Jan 27, 2010.

?

Is the Apple iPad for you ?

Poll closed Mar 27, 2010.
  1. Yes, I started saving

251 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Nice first step, but I'll wait

550 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. It's just a big iPhone

1,285 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. Meh, I'm a desktop person

1,071 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. Netbooks are so much better

783 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. No, I'm not too impressed

4,043 vote(s)
    50.6%
  1. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    so writing a master thesis makes you cool enough to talk smack about someones online writing ability?

2. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, it just makes you extra-sensible to spelling mistakes.

And it's "someone's".

And please, start your sentences with a capital letter.

3. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Hype and the fact Apple is at a fad stage, everyone wants an Apple laptop and iPod because they are cool or considered great but face it there are much better products feature wise, maybe even a few better looking ones too subject to personal taste.

Im not knocking Apple good for them they found a marketable product but i dont like their products personally.

What they should have attempted should be a proper smart phone with a tweaked Mac OS or a mobile OS and a pull out side key pad. I dont mind touch devices but sometimes a nice keypad to go with it makes actually working on something easier. Something like an iPod thats meant for media yeah sure its only to open videos ect but doing emails and actual work on it is a pain in the ass.

The iPad is to much close to a laptop and its far too big to be portable. Its nothing more than a blown up iPod touch and for quickness and handiness the touch wins.

Thats the problem the iPad isnt needed. Its like going back to the shitty "Newton" PDA they had years ago.

EDIT: As far as being Apples future maybe, i dunno is it really needed but then again it might sell like proverbial hot cakes.

4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Well, for us older persons, it great to have a LARGE edition.
    Sorta like, large print Readers Digest. I can see my song titles now.:rolleyes:

Boys at Apple marketing must be hard up for ideas. Let's see... micro, mini, normal; I know... Let's go BIG.:eek:

5. Imsochobo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I live in Norway, in the province Buskerud.
    Giant ipod.

Okey the ipod touch is acceptable, but without multitasking feature (spotify while doing other things) is just unbearable.

And making the same thing a tablet.
    Higher res, bigger and cpu power, but still EXACTLY the same limits, WOOOHOO, EHM not!

This is the biggest FLOP!

6. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    It holds a lot of promise for the mainstream population that appreciates ease of use and combination of features into a simple device, so it'll certainly have an impact. I think it's more evolutionary than revolutionary; a manifestation of the continuing effort to simplify people's connections with increasingly complex and sophisticated machines. There is still too much that it can't do for it to be "the future" itself, but as the ability to pack more performance and capabilities into a relatively slim package increases, devices like this will become more popular and with a wider audience.

7. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for posting that link Fiendo, the U1 does look nice.

9. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They missed so many tricks here its amazing...Apples market tends to be arty, creative types (if the hype is to believed.

Make a tablet with a proper OS,multi-tasking, give it a touch AND pressure sensitive display (like the Wacom Cintique) which you can use a stylus on and include card readers and USB ports and you'd have a tool which would really appeal.

10. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I agree; however, until someone mass markets a complete package like that, solutions that are ready to go out of the box, like the iPad, will be most popular. TPU is not exactly representative of what the majority of the population wants; most want something already put together for them, something simple and elegant.

11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'm not too impressed. Multitasking would'be been proper (because no multitasking is really retarded nowadays) and this thing acting as a USB host would've been good. Now it's just... A big iPhone.

12. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Valid points, like these?

I have VNC, Telnet, Tethering, maps, Yellow Pages, games, theater listings, music, podcasts, e-books, on top of all of the Phone abilitys that are included by default.

Hardly useless IMO, considering it gets more use than my Laptop. Not everyone sits at home or school 24/7 and has quick direct access to a 10mb cable connection and a powerhouse desktop using half a KW of juice.

So Apple has been in a "Fad" stage for the last.... 10 years? :confused:

13. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
  14. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Well at work yesterday I heard about 75,000 people at work bust out laughing about this Ipad...then there was about 100 employees that are Die hard mac users and they were like WTF no damn OS for it:confused:

I was laughing pretty good:roll:

15. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Its an apple its a rip of, it offers no use to me personly so i don't see what all the hype is for. i'd get more use out of a pencil.

16. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Buying an Apple product is like hiring a chauffeur; sure, you blow a lot of money and it doesn't really let you do everything you want, but you don't have to learn to drive and you always arrive in style.

:cool:

17. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Not impressed because you would look like an idiot sitting with one of these on your way too work. The ipod touch and iphone are much better since they are more portable.

18. MK4512

MK4512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... 3 broken iPods later, Apple has not convinced me in the durability department.

It is marketed as an eReader, so we will "flame" it for calling itself an eReader because it has a screen that will hurt your eyes if you try to read books off of it.

The iPod touch was greeted with a flurry of hype and fanboyism. It was not unpopular. Also 3G was in alot of phones, web enabled phones have been around for awhile.

You do know that songs and music are the same thing, right? (on the basis of listening to it on your iPod)

If you listen to your iPad for music as you walk around, its going to be unconfortable. It's like having a big block attached to your ears. The same principle goes for a laptop, or eReader.

As for video watching, you've got me there, though a laptop would be cheaper, and would allow you to multitask, and not worry about loading/buffering the video, and I have not heard anything about iPad speakers.

Also, eReaders have a high enough resolution, enough that I have to bring it right up to my face under the highest zoom to see pixels (jagged edges) (I own the Sony PRS-300)

Edit: Anustly? That's not a word.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
    ToTTenTranz says thanks.
  19. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I imagine that's supposed to be honestly. ;)

20. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess I'm not the only one bothered with made up words, cool.

21. techsmith

techsmith New Member

Thanks Received:
    The disturbing thing about this is the totalitarian aspect of the iPad with all the software for it has to be approved by Apple (not to mention hardware and accessories customization as well), kinda ironic since Apple had that now iconic 1984-style commercial.

22. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    While I agree that's an imposing limit on the software it can run, there is something to say for the more consistent, stable, and useful operation of software that has to go through a more stringent process before being used on a device or operating system. It's really nothing new as far as "totalitarian" requirements for computing devices go, especially coming from Apple.

23. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Sometime's people make spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes. I don't think people appreciate it when you point out every mistake they make while posting.

24. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I find that often on forums, people point out the grammatical, spelling, etc. mistakes of those against whom they have a weak argument. Defamation of character is easier and more gratifying than letting that which does not matter slide and presenting a valid argument. :banghead:

25. Konceptz

Konceptz

Thanks Received:
    you can only run one app at a time.....FAIL