1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is Autocad core optimized?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ebolamonkey3, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend is going off to college in the fall and needs a new laptop. She will be using Autocad quite a bit, and since I'm an IE and never used it myself, I don't know if it takes full advantage of quad cores.

So in her case, is it better to get an i7 620M or an i7 720QM? If Autocad can't fully utilize 4 cores, then I think the 620M would probably be better for her since it's higher clocked and runs cooler.

2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    From the FAQ pdf on their website ...
    It does not specifically say multiple core CPUs, but most of the CAD software that we use here has been updated to utilize multiple cores and CPUs.

Either way I would go with the quad for a school laptop. There is a high likelyhood she would be doing multiple things at once, and thus benefit from the additional cores.

ebolamonkey3 says thanks.
  3. DanTheMan

Thanks Received:
    I would recommend the quad core units. I tried a large 3D AutoCadd 2005 file at work using a quad core and the cores were running at approx 27%. We are using Xeon 2.5 Ghz w/8 Gig of RAM. We use NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 cards - mostly for Pro-Engineer though.

Also if your friend is going into the mechanical field Pro-E is the most desired software - not AutoCAD (better know as AutoSketch) in the Engineering design field. If architecture field then Autocadd is just fine.

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Multiple CPUs = 2+ cores. I'll ask a friend later but I'm not sure if he is using AutoCAD (or what version) or not (might be some other 3D app).

I can say the hardware requirements completely depend on the complexity of the drawings. Simple drawings work fine on a single core CPU but if you get entire structures with wire, plumbing, sewage, etc. a quad-core probably helps.

Another consideration is that quad-core processors draw more electricity (lessening the battery life) and produce more heat than dual core processors. If the computer is going to be unplugged from an outlet a lot, that alone might be reason enough to avoid a quad core.

Without more information, I would say 620M at this time.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, probably made a redundant thread here. I made one for a laptop recommendation in the general hardware thread but this issue seemed like a software issue for me :p

More info about the laptop located here:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=128524

6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    For AutoCAD 2011, plus many of the vertical products (arch, civil), They really did a lot of work in the multi-treaded department as well as a HUGE effort in 64 bit support.

Another even more important thing to consider is the 64 bit versions offer some of the biggest performance gains since release 10.386 & 11! Not to mention breaking the 4GB memory barrier, so make sure they have a 64 bit OS if it's really important.

7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I would recommend 64-bit AutoCAD, 64-bit Windows, 8 GiB of RAM, and a dual-core processor.

The Core i7 620M is dual-core but quad-thread. I think it would be sufficient and also save battery power and reduce heat.

Crunching for Team TPU