1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

is creatives x-fi still worth the money

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KainXS, Mar 31, 2009.

1. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I just had a X-Fi Titanium and replaced it with the Xonar Essence, and it sounded much better than the Titanium, is X-Fi getting dated now
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Getting dated? No. Asus, Auzentech are just better. Creative hardware is just more readily available and sold widely to the public.
  3. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Agree. Razer Barracuda smokes the X-Fi IMO, and the HT Omegas do too.
  4. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Well i disagree Creative is definitely worth the money....

Specially when you get your X-FI Gamer for FREE!! :D
  5. Amdguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I haven't had any experience with any late stand alone sound cards, i own an x-fi platinum and an x-fi Fatal1ty. I am happy with both, i would say that it's always nice to have your dedicated sound card :toast:.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    My X-Fi Xtreme Music and Platinum sound cards have been pretty amazing, I don't have experience with other cards, nor have I spent more than $65 on a sound card (my first X-Fi 2 years ago...donated it to a friends' build, got the platinum from another tpu user for cheap, pretty much an xtreme music anyways, it just usually comes with remote and front panel garbage...I got card only which was perfect). For me it's an improvement over onboard, but still something I can't see dumping over 100 bucks into, let alone 200 or 300. There are some damn solid sound cards out there though. I'd say if you got the X-Fi xtreme music for 50 shipped that's a fair deal, xtreme gamer 65 shipped fine...but that's about as far up the ladder as I'd go...too many problems I've seen others fight in the higher end stuff for minimal gains that aren't worth it unless your drivers/speakers are also costly and top notch to really take advantage of it. If you like onboard, stick with it, if you have a sound card that has supporting drivers for the OS you use, go for it.

A lot of people complain about x-fi's and Vista, I haven't had issues in the last year I've used my x-fi on vista x64, I did have issues in 2007 though. But 2008/2009 has been great with my sound card(s), creative drivers might be a pain in the ass, but get a lower-end x-fi, gamer or music, and you'll be ok, go higher end and you might as well get an auzentech or better. Just my opinion.

:toast:
  7. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    I got an x-fi titanium to replace an extreme audio and now the dialogue skips in all my games.. - FFFUUUU......... !
  8. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Buy Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1

The best of both worlds (audio quality and gaming performance), and it's reasonably priced.
  9. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Auzentech and ASUS cards are way better in terms component quality, hence better sounding with normal audio (gaming performance aside). The DAC on them is about the same quality as that on the X-Fis, it is just everything else that is better and of course some of the Auzentechs and all the ASUS cards lack X-Fi capability(if that has any value these days...).

The old X-Fis are alright value cards just not that brilliant sounding.
  10. Rock God New Member

Thanks Received:
    I probably won't notice a difference from my sound card to any other.
  11. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Personally I have used Creative from Sound Blaster to Audigy, to X-Fi..and this new X-Fi in Vista I am not a fan of. I can't get any EAX or Hardware support, even with Alchemy, not sure if it is an issue the Creative Drivers or Vista but so far not a fan of the X-Fi series.

I've seen a lot of good feedback about Asus and Auzentech. One of those will be my next purchase.
  12. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    i like my sound card x-fi, i can hear everything in games like shell casings bouncing of the hull of tha tanks, its great
  13. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I actually looked into that on my old vista install and it does not work sometimes because in creatives X-Fi software for the audio console, its all disabled by creative, I don't know why they did it, maybe its to stop the clicky sound bug or somethin, but one thing I know for sure is that even though creatives processor is supposed to be better then the rest, in terms of audio quality vs the other high end cards right now, it loses, but they are still good cards on the budget sector.
  14. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    X-Fi Xtreme Music worths it ... i had tested it even for sound production , Cubase and stuff.
  15. GAR

Thanks Received:
    I have been wanting to try out one of the Xonar cards, I currently have the X-FI titanium, im not sure if i should replace it, its working good so far, powering my Z-5500's, might give the auzentech x-fi forte