1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is Gigabyte really that bad?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mod2max, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mod2max

mod2max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I recently posted "What goes up, comes down" because I'm having problems a few people said it's cause of my Gigabyte mobo?

Now without sounding like a fan boy can anyone tell me why Gigabyte is bad?

And if you can explain it in depth please :D

Cheers all.

2. craigwhiteside

craigwhiteside New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol gigabyte isnt bad, their mobo's are excellent :D

3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing wrong with Gigabyte. It isn't bad. Just that an odd person ends up with a defective piece and starts complaining, bad parts are made by all companies, ABIT to ZOTAC.

4. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    In my latest build I specifically went with a gigabyte board because of how well my friends gigabyte builds worked (I built them :p). Had an Asus before and I also loved it. Those two are my favorites and until I see a reason not to I will continue to buy from them.

5. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree, I used a couple of models and VGAs from Gigabyte and ANY comes defective, also are good for OC.

6. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    I think gigabyte is a good brand. What I do not like is the "Crazy cool" cooling. IMO that whole setup is junk, especially if you plan on using any sort of active cooling on your NB/SB you will end up removing it. The bad thing is its all connected and either you remove it all, or you start cutting heat pipes. Also the room they allow around the cpu socket can limit the size of heat sink you can use.

7. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    People complain when they get one faulty part from a company and make it sound as if the company is bad. The only time a company is bad is when they have bad customer service, eg, if you do get a bad part and they give you a hard time changing it.

You get bad parts from all companies. Its electronics, there are bound to be problems with some.

Paulieg says thanks.
  8. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1. I hate it when people trash companies over one bad piece of hardware. Now, if you continue to have several bad experiences, then I understand.

9. CH33T03S New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a problem with the bios on a Gigabyte board once and they went the extra mile to help me out. Cant be that bad of a company.

10. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    My dads gigabyte mobo is awesome! i haven't tweaked it much but we oc his e6400 to 3.2 so easy

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. allen337

allen337

Thanks Received:
    Ive been using gigabyte for years had a couple of rambuss boards go bad after 5+ years so I truly believe 5 years might be the life of a motherboard. Ive had other bad computer parts also and the only 2 cpompanys i wont buy from anymore are ECS(shouldn have to begin with) and maxtor (had a half dozed 80 gig ide drives fail in different builds in under a year) I would probably buy maxtor again now sata is out but ecs can kiss it. ALLEN

12. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    My top 3 mobo companies are 1)DFI 2)Gigabyte 3)Asus

13. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte are made in Asus factories.

14. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    dont listen to one or two ppl that badmouth gigabyte, listen to the thousands that have bought gigabyte and are happy with it!

15. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Any reliable source, please? Even if it's true, merrier because ASUS is a good company quality-wise.

I'm more than happy, will continue to buy their stuff as I've been very satisfied with my board so far.

16. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Well both Gigabyte and Asus had a joint venture / partnership. But i heard they split up, but gigabyte boards and asus boards are still made from the same factory.

17. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    I really belive in the saying "you get what you pay for" I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Rev 3.3 with Solid State caps and theres no complaints here at all.i think the worst thing you can do without sounding like a snob cos im not! is go the cheap root.you buy cheap you get cheap.

18. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    >>People complain when they get one faulty part from a company and make it sound as if the company is bad.

Assumptions ? Out of 15 builds, i used 5 asus/asrock, 3/5 were faulty, more or less with the lower priced boards going downhill rapidly.

Gigabyte has been pretty much solid so far, but it took them only 6 (SIX) months after purchase of my last 939 board to finally release a bios that fixed random 3d crashes.

So obviously its pretty much pointless to talk about companies anymore, just make sure the board you want has a very good reputation or look for something else.

19. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Maybe its a OEM partner such as Foxconn. They make stuff for a lot of companies.

20. sorehammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a gigabyte one of the nicest boards i have had in a long time i would highly recommend.:toast:

21. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte was and always been good to me. Nice O/C'ers to. Had a P4 3.0 GHZ up to 4.6 GHZ stable and still had more to go but was on air cooling. My next build for me will be a Gigabyte board.

22. gOJDO New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly my thoughts! Several times it had happened to me a high-end piece of hardware to be defective. It's OK it happens, but I can't accept when companies are p*ssing on their regular supporters. According to my experience Asus has the worst customer service and the worst site(50% of the their servers are down). I'm buying Asus only when I have no other choice.

On topic, there is nothing wrong with Gigabyte. According to my experience they have excellent products and they have very good customer service.

23. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte has great products, I haven't any problems with all the mobos, GFX cards, ands Wireless cards from them.

24. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    the few complaints i came accross were people not going into bios to set them up properly and then post to say, "the board was bad and didnt work so i bought asus instead" lol.

its a lot like video cards thou, it depends on what version your choosing as to which might be better than the next.

the best x38 is brand y or the best P35 is from brand z

25. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a bad experience gigabytes. Unfortunately for this build I chose a giga ga-965-dq6. After 3rd rma, they wouldn't honor the warranty and I was pissed at first but it turned out to be the best thing for me because I went with the asus p5b deluxe, and imo theres no comparison. Reading alot of threads just this last year, and my own experience with the board, it doesn't overclock the ram nearly as well as asus boards. Also, my own experience, there customer service sucks.