1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is GTX 480 / Fermi a game changer for you?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Mar 27, 2010.

?

Is GTX 480 / Fermi a game changer for you?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2010.
  1. Yes, competition is great for the customer

1,470 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. I can't pick a clear winner

448 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. I got tired of waiting and bought an ATI card

1,940 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. Power/Heat/Noise is important, no Fermi for me

7,651 vote(s)
    50.3%
  5. I'm happy with what I have

2,227 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. I'm going to buy one

744 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. Yes, it's the better card

720 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I disagree. If it plugs into a single PCIe slot, it's a single card. Number of gpus doesn't matter.

And people don't complain about the 5970's fan noise and temps because it far outperforms the 480 for the same heat and noise.

2. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I was originally going to trade my 5850's for a couple of GTX 470's. Just to test them out. But I have been reading a tone of reviews of people returning dead fermi's because of heat killing them.

Nvidia says they can handle the heat..... I say Nvidia is lying.

Yeah but it is alos two GPU's Not one....

3. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    The 5970 is a single ''card'', meaning it's using one PCB. But GPU's wise, it's dual.

Also, i haven't heard much complaints about the heat of Fermi cards, if you go to the GTX 480/470 clubhouse here on TPU, you'll see it's actually not that bad as originally hyped up to be. I did read the GTX 470 review over at Hardwarecunucks.com, and they stated that it does get hot(they hit about 92c with the card), but that it was really a great card for the money. The problems are there, just not as big as people who don't own one are saying.

4. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    more then 1 GPU is still more then 1 GPU weather its 2 on 1 PCB or 6.

until amd or nvidia start making tri GPU or quad on a single PCB with lower end cores then its only fair to compare 1 GPU vs 1 GPU.

also i havnt herd of ANY! Fermi cards dieing due to heat yet.... got a source? no one on TPU has had a fermi die yet that i know of.
    Feel free to post a link as i would be interested.

5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Agreed.

6. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really? I've not been keeping up with that.

7. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    All you would have to do is Google to find them. I am not talking about reviews from Andytech or Tomshardware or even here.

What I am talking about is from people at buying establishments.

Sure I will admit there are probably a percentage that are fan boys causing problems. There is also a percent of people who have no idea what they are doing and that is what the problem is.

But there are also a percent of people who do and have had problems with this.

Not only that.... I have seen several forums complaining of this.

Sure there are a tone of things that you have to take into account. But you got agree a card that does run at 90c plus while gaming is more likely going to fade out and have problems well before the card that runs at 60c or 70c while gaming.

Regardless of what Nvidia says they are capable of. Plus if Nvidia knew there is a problem about the heat with these cards and failing..... What do you think they are going to release a statement to that effect. Of course not.

Now I am sure everyone's card doesn't run that way..... but it seems the majority does. If Nvidia comes out with a fix for these heat problems... I will gladly retract y statement. I also would probably gladly switch to Nvidia for awhile because god knows I am getting sick of ATI's driver issues!

But if you would like me to go find a bunch of links saying such things about Fermi I will. But I thought that this response does just as well as anything.

8. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. The lifetime of the card shortens alot when used at very high temps for a long time.

9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I disagree. They can put 60 gpus on a single board, and as long as it plugs into a single PCIe slot, and works in any mobo, it's still just one card. You can't buy just a single 5970 gpu, then another later. You buy both at once, or you buy a different card. The only thing to compare is price and performance of the card. Number of gpus doesn't matter.

It's like cpus. An AMD 6 core is pretty equal to a i7 quad with hyperthreading clock for clock in multi-threaded benches, but the AMD has 6 cores and the Intel has 4 with 8 threads. Does that mean you have to disable 2 cores on the AMD to compare? No, because you buy the whole package together.