1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it a good laptop deal?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JunkBear, Jun 7, 2014.

1. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
  2. P4-630

P4-630

Thanks Received:
    Personally I would not buy a laptop with AMD processor, but it's a HP at a good price.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I have an AMD apu powered Asus K55n. Awesome budget laptop with gaming horsepower Intel could only have a wet dream about at the price point I bought it at. Haswell is nicer to the battery but AMD is a very solid option for a laptop. If my k55n supported a 1080p screen I wouldn't have the Dell I do now. The Asus gets a lot more use. I am not a fan of most HP lappys. I see too many issues and failures with them...though that could be because there's more of them out there. Its a decent choice but I'd keep looking. Check out gaminlaptopsjunky.com too. Great place to research and get help.
    GreiverBlade says thanks.
  4. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    HP...Good price for the parts but, HP.

Makes me kinda shudder.

I think for 5 bones you could get something a bit more, well built, reliable.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Lopez0101

Thanks Received:
    I have an older HP that I got for $350 when my other laptop was crapping out and I still needed something to get online with until I fixed it. I think it's got an old AMD A4. Thing can hardly run 720p videos in VLC on battery, but I've beat the shit out of it and haven't had any problems with it yet!
    Arjai says thanks.
  6. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Maybe going Acer or Toshiba then.
    HD64G and Arjai say thanks.
  7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Yep, don't go HP
  8. HD64G

HD64G

Thanks Received:
    Ace, Lenovo, Dell and Toshiba are better than HP. If you find another notebook with these subsystems at this price-bargain take it closed eyes.
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I've only really used HP business machines and those I generally like. Is the consumer stuff really that much worse?
  10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    There not bad its the bloat ware that sucks
    Frick says thanks.
  11. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    never go ACER either ... on all the desktop or laptop i had before going back into self assembled PC's ...

every HP did hold fine: 1 pavillon with 1035T/8gb/gf405/300w ok not the best out there but not bad either since the price was kinda low 4 SFF desktop 2 notebook

but every ACER i had went fubar ... 1 laptop on DAY 1! ... and the customer service said : corrupted SATA we can't do nothing, no refund, it might be your fault .... oh well i didn't know pressing the "power button" on the 1st start after getting it out of the box, would end corrupting the SATA... total BS, 1 screen ... 1 day after warranty : poof no image no more ... i still have my 24" 16/10 ACER P243W but the flickering and trembling at 60hz is awful ... it handle fine 75hz but i have to do custom profile for it ...

short mode : HP is better than ACER and it's not hard to do so ... ACER produce so many POS... (tho they do not so bad Android tablet)

for the rest indeed Lenovo/MSI/ASUS/Dell/Toshiba do better than HP
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Oh you mean that. Yeah that is pretty terrible. The bussinnes machines have less crap on them though.
  13. P4-630

P4-630

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm.. I never had problems with Acer computers, I think it's a good brand and not too expensive either.
  14. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    and i have many friends who had bad experiences with ACER ... where i am it's common to hate ACER but only after a personal experience :D

actually if you rank all manufacturer ACER would be lower than even the lowest (by a hundred rank lower than the worst POS brand) for us.... or we are just unlucky with ACER, well if it was just me i call it bad luck but as i have recorded as many as 50 failure in half a year among my friends ... then i call that POS brand. (in fact except for some good model, all brand together, most of the laptop offering are overpriced for what they give, well AMD powered one seems to have better value specially with A serie APU and even more when Kaveri powered laptop will go out... again imho)

ah yes indeed ACER is not too expensive ... my day 1 failing notebook was 899chf i was lucky it wasn't a 2799chf top model .... bleh.
  15. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    You're hit and miss with Acer. I've had mine for around 4 years, the only problem I had was a corrupt HDD due to sudden power cuts (I was trying to save the battery) but they replaced it without question.
  16. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    hit and miss ... when it is permanent miss and miss consecutively on more than one user ... well ... i maintain my statement about ACER.
  17. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your opinions guys and mostly to those who explain these opinions. Not only telling It's crap! but not developping the subject. :) I will take in consideration and later I will post more links.