1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it high for XFX 6850 90-95celcius?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by TheOnlyHero, Dec 21, 2012.

1. TheOnlyHero

TheOnlyHero

Thanks Received:
    have a 6850 from 1 week and run on 94% fan speed and in the games the temperature goes around 90c. is that too high and riscy for the card ?
    Sometimes i have fragments on youtube videos,some strange pixels,is it possible the card to be damage ? TNX
  2. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Thats too high,did you overclock?
  3. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    While it will run in that range just fine, that is too high for any card. You need to start researching why it is so hot.

Things to check: (in order of importance)

1. Thermal paste
    2. Air flow
    3. Fan power
    4. Drivers
  4. TheOnlyHero

TheOnlyHero

Thanks Received:
  5. TheOnlyHero

TheOnlyHero

Thanks Received:
    no,but i think the stock cooler is bad made. Do you think that the high temperatures cause the fragments, if i change the cooler ?
  6. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    If I got crap like that showing up in 2D mode the first place I'd be checking in the companies website for some RMA details and sending that thing back.

If you cant, re-apply thermal paste like 3870 said and make sure your case has sufficient airflow for the card.

Other than that, I'm outta ideas. :laugh:

Edit:

[​IMG]

This appears to be his case so airflow shouldn't be that much of an issue, if at all.

Check the fan on the card is moving at all and if it is, take the card out and re-apply paste... while doing so, clean the heatsink and that should fix your temperature issues.

As for artifacts... it still isn't normal to see them, even at the temperature you stated... kinda worried for you as your card may be on its way out. :shadedshu:twitch:
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  7. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    While every card varies, I have seen some tests (i think done on the HD38xx series) that showed temps in excess of 100 degress C performing ok, so there might be more wrong with your card.

XFX has the lifetime warranty right?
  8. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    I believe the XFX warranty also cover you if you take to cooler off,so might as well check the paste before RMAing.
  9. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    If it's a dual fan xfx 6850, then it should not go higher than low 70s C in extreme stress testing.
    I've never used a single fan model, but I would expect no higher high 70s to low 80s max.
  10. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Why the hell would you RMA it with so very few details what is going on. Bad advise out of the gate.

Take a photo of your system with the side panel off for us.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  11. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Artifacts, 94% fan speed and 90'C+ are 3 reasons.

Of course, those things are totally normal.... more so while watching YouTube in 2D clocks... right? ;)

Also, whats taking a picture going to show? The case I already linked to that appears perfectly capable with its 200mm+ side fan??

I don't think this card has an overheating issue due to its surroundings (the chassis)... more like A, a lack of fresh paste/dirty 'sink OR, B, the worse case... a dying card.

But... if you have any other ideas then feel free to bleet them out... I doubt him showing a picture will change his problems. :laugh:

Edit: And your constant double posting is almost anoying... notice the EDIT button yet? :shadedshu
  12. TheOnlyHero

TheOnlyHero

Thanks Received:
    One thing to say i haved to remove the big 20mm fan because there wosn't enough space for the fan and the 2 6pins power connector on the video card , they ware making contact .

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  13. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    The card looks clean.
    Since you are getting artifacts, the memory/core on the card might be overheating or is failing.
    I guess its either the fan is failing or the thermal paste is dried up.
  14. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Seeing as the card looks clean and is pretty new, it obviously doesn't need cleaning and I don't think it has dried up paste.

The next thing to check, if you havent, is it the fan even spins and if it does, how fast. You may have 94% fan speed set from software but is it actually doing that?

As for the removal of your side fan... I doubt it'd make much of a difference... try running with the side off your case for a short time and see if that makes an impact to the temperatures.

If you try all the above and you're still getting problems I'd set up an RMA with XFX as the only thing left in my mind that could be the problem is the card and it is in fact actually dying. :twitch:
  15. swjpjj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some strange pixels, perhaps memory problems.
  16. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    So you are saying the fan was hiting the power connector and not spinning? If so there is you problem. :toast:

Also I have a xfx 6850 cfired with a Visiontek card and both crunch Wcg 24/7. Temps never go above 60
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    He meant the 200mm case side fan was hitting the 6 pin power. ;) :toast:
  18. TheOnlyHero

TheOnlyHero

Thanks Received:
    that was when i was installing the card and i remove the fan to free some space for the 2 6 pins
  19. anoobarak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me like improper heat-sink contact with the GPU die. Try re-assembling the card. Also be sure to have some spare thermal paste.
  20. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Just in case, make sure you have drivers installed of a version you know sure about that worked for you. Disabling hardware acceleration in your webbrowser can be practical too (assuming it happens only when watching streamed videos).

Edit: although that would not explain the high temps you get... sorry for that.
    Crunching for Team TPU