1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it possible to keep that fresh install feel?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 1nf3rn0x, Apr 3, 2013.

1. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Is there anyway possible to keep your system feeling as fast as it did the day you reformatted? Only one could wish for it :(

I literally have not installed anything on my system since I reinstalled for a new build a couple months ago. I use my laptop for everything now, to see if I can REALLY keep that new system install on my desktop. :laugh:

[​IMG]

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Install OS and programs to SSD, install everything, downloads etc on a big HDD. Keep defrag on automatic daily, and c-clean every weeks end to remove temporary files.
    NEVER click create desktop icon.
    Still that fresh install feeling after a year :toast:

NOTE: you dont need a desktop shortcut to avast, you have a system tray icon for that. I havent used desktop icons in 2 years!

1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  3. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I know, I don't mind icons on my desktop :)
    But as you stated. I shall be not adding any more desktop icons. Any reason how these slow your system down? Guessing on startup the seek time for the shortcut to be connected to the file it is opening?

4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    You cant defrag an ssd on daily defrag, at least mine doesnt show up, and i know it ruins the ssd if you do. It just defrags all my other drives.

Desktop shortcuts increase desktop loading time from a few milliseconds to a second or two.

d1nky and Law-II say thanks.
  6. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    I thought its not a good idea to defrag ssd's! I found a really good SSD info page where its says ten steps to optimise your ssd, I cant find it :( but it included turning cache off, win search off etc and said do not de frag!

mine boots in a couple seconds, but when I change settings/new installs etc, it slows down then all I do is drain the power from it, i.e let the mobo lights etc go out. then itll boot back in a couple seconds. im astonished how fast I can boot and get into game

the ssd just has games, os, and drivers. and little in start up!

and like said above remove temp files, malware, virus scans registry clean....keep the girl STI free and clean lol

7. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Again I'll repeat, daily defrag DOES NOT SELECT ssd by default, and often removes the drive from the selection list.
    Also i forgot about MSCONFIG, jump in there and remove damn near everything from startup, there is also services.msc which you can delve into to remove things from startup too.
    CCleaner is nice enough to remove pointless dll HKeys from the registry too.

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Startup on HDDs will always take ~1-2 minutes.

Unless there's something causing startup to be really slow, the pay off is little for going through Windows startup with a fine tooth comb.

Keep HDDs below 50% capacity (for sure 75%). The more full they get, the slower their read/write times on all additional data written to the drive.

Windows 7 stays surprisingly snappy compared to Windows XP. Windows XP would need an annual format to stay quick. I've gone two-three years since my last format on Windows 7 and really feel there's no reason to.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    XP was always one of those rabid cats that crapped outside of its sandbox and never buried. Just sat in its own crap and made more of it.

remixedcat says thanks.
  10. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I have four things which run at startup :rockout:

Next thing on the list is an SSD. Are they as hard as they are made out to be to maintain? All I will use it for is OS only. All programs and games will be put onto my hdd. What necessary maintenance will be needed then?

11. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    lol rcoon, just your first post I was saying about ssd and defrags, and then you updated about ssds! im using windows 8 and its pretty quick, I got a new mobo coming today and itll need a fresh install :D

RCoon says thanks.
  12. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    This install and system is from November and it's still going good. I have an SSD drive (Samsung 840 120GB) and Server 2012 does a good job with it.

I just have the OS, Programs, and games on the SSD and the HDD (1.5TB Seagate SATA) is where my general files and program installers, etc reside.

My system boots in 10-15 secs including loading Rainmeter and the lil bit of lag for Stardock Fences to kick in.

My printer takes longer to boot up then my computer does. LOLz.

1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Dont add things to the startup and youre there.

14. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    mine ran into some trouble once, locked up on 100% usage and kept freezing my pc, very strange. had to install new etc. think the cable was to blame.

but apart from that its been maintenance free, just search some tips for improving optimisation and its great......best buy to improve speed ever!

may even time startup.... 6-7 seconds from beep

1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  15. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I have never really understood why you would not put programs and some games on an SSD. Those are the things you use. How much time do you spend only using Windows? I'm betting it's not a lot. Why wouldn't you want your programs quicker as well?

16. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to buy a 60GB SSD to begin with.

But yes if I had a higher capacity drive I would most likely put some of my most used apps/games on there. But I think many people DON'T for the fear of burning out their drives with the large amounts of read/write.

17. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Which is kinda silly. By the time the drives would "burn out" they would be quite old anyway.

Also, I guess you're strapped for cash? Here there is not a lot of 60GB drives left and the jump up to 120GB will generally not make a lot of difference.

1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  18. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    haven't they got warranty on things like that? and i keep a few games, drivers and os on a 120gb ssd (which actually reads as 111gb) and has 50gb spare so far.

60gb may be too small, i would think! in all honestly this was a pricless buy..... i see a hdd boot next to mine and i laugh everytime. even when loading games i smirk at the hdd :nutkick:

19. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Nope, but I had my mind set on OS only, but yes you are right. The drive will be 6+ years old by the time it dies, and within 2 years there will be a better drive out warranting a necessary upgrade to thirst your e-peen.

Is this any good?
    http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_info.php?cPath=27_502&products_id=139864

20. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    My bad, i was talking about the HDD's i have in my system. CCleaner deals with my SSD trash. I install everyting i use frequently to the SSD, everything else to machanical if i dont need the speed.

d1nky says thanks.
  21. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    I was just reading up on how to improve ssd optimisation, and seen in a forum apparently the main and only important thing to do is have AHCI enabled. @anandtech

22. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I installed W7 64-bit in June 2010 and it feels as snappy as it did back then.

It's also been migrated across two motherboards and had loads of stuff installed and uninstalled on it over time.

Microsoft have really fixed the grunginess that afflicted their older operating systems, including XP, which could bog down quite badly over time. I can't see me ever having to reinstall W7 due to performance issues. :)

The only maintenance I do on it is to delete temp files with ATF Cleaner and run a defrag once in a while, along with installing all the latest updates from Windows Update and driver updates.

23. Frick

Thanks Received:
    This and this again. When I had Windows 7 the only time I restarted the machine was when it updated something. As you say it really is different now.