1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it possible to set gpu load to full 7970

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Simmyen, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Simmyen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got an Asus radeon hd 7970 directCU II, and was wondering if it's possible to set the gpu usage to full when im playing games.

When im playing borderlands 2, the load is set to around 50% :wtf:

got the laters AMD drivers as well...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Do you have the game maxed out in the settings for your resolution, and are you playing at the max resolution you can?

3. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    download kombustor (there are others, and its entirely useless for real life measurements) and run a Furry/Tesselation test for like 2 minutes. If you're gpu hits 97-100% all is fine with it and obviously it eats your borderlands settings alive, so knock them up a bit. If it still runs at 50% on the test, something is wrong, throttling maybe.

4. Simmyen New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea i am

alright, will try it out :)

5. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh,
    Nice system btw ;) :toast:

Simmyen says thanks.
  6. Simmyen New Member

Thanks Received:
    haha thank you :D

7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    It will adjust as needed. Most likely 100% was not needed

8. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Especially if v-sync is on.

9. Simmyen New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is needed. My FPS is around 50 fps...

Vsync is turned off

10. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Try this, my laptop and its 660m weren't quite hitting 60 fps constantly but then I did this and it solved the problem for me at least.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\Config and open DefaultEngine.ini. Then search for [SystemSettings]. There you will find your graphical options. I manually set my FPS cap to 60, as well as changing my resolution to 1920x1080 (which is odd, as I had already done that in the options, but it was set to 720 in the ini file). After manually making these changes and saving the ini file, I booted the game. Fraps had it running at 60 with all options maxed out.

11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Sounds normal to me. Not everything uses the GPU equally hard and the overall frame rate may not be that high along with 50% usage which is also normal. Run Furmark etc and it should ramp up to around 100%

Also, switching vsync on necessarily reduces the utilization (I know yours is off).

12. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Crunch 4 wcg wu's on it then tell me if it isn't most of the way maxed out.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    With boost type Nvidia cards, you can use Nvidia Inspector to disable idle and force max core clock to be used continuously. It's a lot like when you force a CPU to run at a constant OC rate. It will still run at near idle temps when there's no load though.

With AMD cards, I'm not sure if there even IS a tool you can do that with. I wouldn't worry too much about what you're seeing with Borderlands though. It's a cell shaded game that doesn't put much load on high end GPUs.

14. Simmyen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its not only Borderlands... I have to run Battlefield 3 on Low settings for a good fps over 60 (i cant play when the fps is under 60) even on small maps like Grand Bazar... This card is supposed to be much more powerful..

15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Load level isn't something set or controlled by the card. It is how much demand the game is putting on the card. It sounds to me like you have a bottleneck somewhere that is limiting the card.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  16. Simmyen New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've recently changed absolutely all the components in my computer. Everything is all new. I've installed Windows 7 Professional and updated it, installed the drivers to my motherboard, updated them to the latest version, my graphics card is also all new, and i have updated the drivers there as well... My processor is an overkill, as well as the motherboard and the gpu. I have no clue what the problem can be... :/

Edit : I've even overclocked the GPU's core clock to 1050 Mhz (stock 925) , the Memory Clock to 6050 Mhz (stock 5500) I haven't adjusted the Voltage yet. The temperature never raises over 50 degrees when playing.

17. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I suggest making a new test install of Windows and seeing how it goes. Use a spare HDD or partition. If that works better, then you have your reference point and it might be time to just ditch your current install and use the new one.

Borderlands 2 runs at hundreds of fps on my GTX 580, so yours should do even better, as it's a bit more powerful. Also, try installing the latest DX runtime from Microsoft's website.

Having said that, you have an FX8350 and I've got a 2700K at 4.7GHz, which might be making all the difference.