1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it safe to put your pc in sleep mode?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Wingo101, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    My pc goes to sleep after about 1 hour of idle time. Is it safe to put the pc in sleep mode?

Won't it decrease the lifetime of the gpu, cpu, etc. If they are turned off and on straight-away?

2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Do you mean leaving ot in standby all the time as opposed to turning it off?

3. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
    no, dont think so. do you mean sleep mode or freeze mode. cpu and gpu never get turned off completely. in freeze mode HDDs are turned off. that's the only thing i believe. but dont worry about it.

4. wolfy87

wolfy87 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no nothing wrong, even prolongs life, cause your components are working at very small activity, you can also hibernate, and that way save all the work you had on desktop (word text, image editing etc)

5. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    If i plan to leave my pc for more than an hour, i'll shut it off completely. Booting up just takes around 30sec anyway.

6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It's not a good idea to turn a PC off and on rapidly and/or often, because thermal cycling stresses the components and can cause them to fail early - high performance graphics cards especially. It's all a bit of a grey area this, so if you're doing some testing that requires it, don't sweat over it too much. Disconnect the HD though, if possible.

When I don't use the PC, I always put it into sleep mode instead of shutting it down, because it starts up so much quicker. Because I use Vista, I get the advantage of hybrid sleep, which has the advantages of hybernation and sleep modes - if you unplug it from the mains while sleeping, it just boots up from hybernation instead. :cool:

7. wolfy87

wolfy87 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I have winxp sp2, nothing tweaked yet, my boot is approx 60sec after I press the power button...kinda looong? :shadedshu

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It can decrease the lifespan of the RAM, power supply, and especially the motherboard. The highest rate of motherboard failures I have encountered were often tied to computers that were suspended rather than turned off.

Sleep/suspend mode keeps the memory powered on. That means those components are subjected to punishment more than they would be otherwise.

Turning on and off frequently (more than every 30 minutes) is also not good for components.

Simply put, if the computer is going to be off more than 30 minutes, power it off. If not, just turn the monitor off (I don't bother with screen savers because they use processing power when the best way to save a screen is to not have it on at all).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
    Wingo101 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    So then, should I disable sleep mode & just set the monitor to turn off after 30 minutes?

10. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
    i set everything to "never" and i turn off the monitor when i'm away for a few minutes. i turn off the pc completely if i am away for more than 30mins

Wingo101 says thanks.
  11. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    Well on my old gateway I would put it on standby/sleep every time I would leave the office. I've owned that computer for about 7 years and it's still working. I've used it for gaming and school work. So I don't know how much it affects your computer, but from my experience it seems to be fine. :toast:

12. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Definitely disable sleep and hibernation modes. I set the monitor to power off after 3 minutes on my server and 15 minutes on my desktops. I turn desktops off at night if they aren't working on something.

Wingo101 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU