1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it worth going from X800GTO to 7600?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by markkleb, Apr 12, 2006.

1. markkleb Guest

I have one of the HIS X800 GTO IceQ II cards with R480 core that wont unlock 16 pipes(has 12)

Is it worth it to get the 7600GT? (only$169)
  2. giorgos th.

giorgos th. New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would upgrade it.if its not unlockable.
  3. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
  4. giorgos th.

giorgos th. New Member

Thanks Received:
    as much as it wont be a "future" upgrade ok?
  5. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    First i suggest you allocate all your money, and look to see what possible ammount you can come up with in say...2-3 weeks.

then look around at video cards that are above the price range you are currently looking at, i suggest 3-4 compairable cards say 2 from ATI 2 from Nvid and see what you like.

i suggest www.newegg.com as theyre usually very cheap and extremely fast in processing and shipping.

now find some reviews around the web about your hardware choices. Find some compairative benchmarks between your choices of cards if you can. Also, extremely helpful is finding broad range benchmarks that may include your current video card and the ones youre considering purchaseing, as this will show what your performance increase can be.

...2 weeks have gone by, you find out you have $20-$100 more then you did when you first looked to buy a video card, which means youll be closer to being able to buy what you couldnt before, hopefully the 3-4 you were looking at. At the same time hopefully the price has dropped even slightly on those you were considering.

so now youve waited, youve accumulated more money, the more expenive card you didnt consider before is now an option, and youve studied up on these cards. Lets say You like this particular card just a bit more then the other and newgg happens to have a combo which lets you get a newegg sticker for free with this purchase.

You've now purchase this card, you install it, and find the games you played 2 weeks ago now run smoother then youd hoped, And the performance gain is the difference between your grandmas old volvo and your brothers new corvette.

And you just bought this even newer game which only runs at 30 fps. and you think if i bought that card when i did, i may only be getting 20 fps now instead of 30fps and id want to upgrade again.

**alright well i had surgery 2 weeks ago and im going mad at home doing nothing, sorry for ranting. still got 4-6 weeks of recovery time. 4 months of a full time job to 2 months of absolutely nothing but sitting at home playing video games, and watching TV will drive you insane. BTW lucky number S7even is pretty good, slow at first but i give it 8/10.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  6. markkleb Guest

the reason is I can get a 7600GT for $160, X850 PE for $209, but for $299 I can get a 7900GT.

There is too many dam decisions. My X800 is fine at 550/650 but my 3dmark2006 is only 1812.

I really dont have the money but I will be able to sell my X800 for something.
  7. giorgos th.

giorgos th. New Member

Thanks Received:
    you want to buy a new card because you have a low 3d mark???
    biiiiiiiiiiiig mistake..
  8. markkleb Guest

pretty much. Thanks Giorgos th. for making me realise that...
  9. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    as long as your games run where you can accept the gameplay and graphix, do not upgrade.

3d mark is a spitting contest. basically whos got the richest daddy, someone will always out do your score. Do not upgrade if its to better yourself in a spitting contest as even if you win, you still a loser for spending $3k on a computer to get 15k on 3dmark06.

all you need is a video card that can play the games you like.

sometimes i play starcraft...takes up hours and hours and you know what i dont play it on my gaming rig.

i play it on my 350mhz pII and i find it more fun then oblivion. i spit on 3dmark.
  10. markkleb Guest

Thanks Satchmo.
  11. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    I agree with the others dont upgrade because of your 3Dmark, I only get 2169 in 3DMark06 but who gives a s*it :laugh:
  12. enzobond New Member

Thanks Received:
    personally, i'm upgrading from a X700 Pro to a 7600GT because it's the best buy in that price range (150-200€/$). It has the support for SM3 and HDR, so i think it will have months of good functionally and it's quite cheap. Then i'll buy a 7900GT before next christmas. My suggest is take a 7600GT and wait for better prices to buy a 7900GT or GTX
  13. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    7600GT is a good upgrade, roughly equivilent to a 6800 Ultra Extreme, but if you are coming from a X800GTO its probably not worth it. Unless you HAVE to have sm 3.0 or something :slap: