1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it worth this upgrade???

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by KingPing, Dec 27, 2011.

  1. KingPing

    KingPing

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2009
    Messages:
    828 (0.44/day)
    Thanks Received:
    273
    Location:
    Argentina (South America)
    I want to upgrade my VGA but i don't know if it's worth to upgrade from my Toxic 5850 1GB to a GTX570 Frozr III, apparently the GTX is + - 25% faster than my 5850. Maybe you know something i don't.

    Prices: I payed U$D550 for the 5850 (yeah i know:shadedshu,) and the GTX would cost me U$D600:(, i have the money, but i need a good reason to spend it in the GTX.


    Problems: mobo is only PCI-E 1.1, i can swap to a P5E (X38), but only if the PCI-E bottleneck is to much, cause overclocking on that board is a nightmare.

    I'm not upgrading anything else, i'll wait till Ivy bridge or maybe Haswell.

    Thanks!
     
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. dark2099

    dark2099

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    Messages:
    4,400 (1.81/day)
    Thanks Received:
    755
    Location:
    where everyone wants to be
    The jump I got in performance from a 5850 to a 6870 has been nice, so I would recommend it. And also it is NVidia's 2nd generation Dx11 GPU, so should be a tad more refined for those games now.
     
    KingPing says thanks.
  3. NdMk2o1o

    NdMk2o1o

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    Messages:
    3,444 (2.09/day)
    Thanks Received:
    922
    Location:
    Redditch, Worcestershire, England
    You answered your own question, $600 for 25% improvement, is it worth it? I think not, there are hardly any games out there that a 5850 can't play on high settings, I would hold off and see what the ATI 7*** midrange brings or kepler.

    There is barely any difference between a 5850 and a 6870, that's less of an upgrade than the OP is suggesting and unless you managed to get it for $0 I would say it was a waste of money.
     
    KingPing says thanks.
  4. Super XP

    Super XP

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Messages:
    2,764 (0.79/day)
    Thanks Received:
    538
    Location:
    Ancient Greece, Acropolis
    Don't do it, if anything I would wait a little longer for the release of the HD 7000 series, then prices may go down and you may also find a better Price/Performance deal with a HD 7000 card.
     
    KingPing says thanks.
  5. scaminatrix

    scaminatrix

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Messages:
    3,579 (2.11/day)
    Thanks Received:
    794
    Location:
    By the Channel Tunnel, Kent, England
    IMO, buy a new mobo, CPU and RAM. I'm unsure of prices on your side of the pond, but you should be able to get an SB setup for $600?
    Just read that you might wait for Ivy Bridge; that would be my choice. Is your CPU already the bottleneck? If so, upgrading GPU won't net you anything near 25% performance increase.
     
    KingPing says thanks.
  6. KingPing

    KingPing

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2009
    Messages:
    828 (0.44/day)
    Thanks Received:
    273
    Location:
    Argentina (South America)
    Thanks all for your advice, i think i'll keep my VGA and buy a new PC when Haswell is out. Your are right NdMk2o1o, the 5850 is still capable of playing almost everything on high:rockout:
     
  7. Dent1

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Messages:
    3,158 (1.95/day)
    Thanks Received:
    915
    Placebo effect. The 5850 and 6870 are like 7-9% apart.
     
  8. AsRock

    AsRock TPU addict

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    Messages:
    10,980 (4.10/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,711
    Location:
    US
    Typically better of waiting at least 2 years for a new video card and about 3-4 years for a new system maybe longer.
     
  9. Crap Daddy

    Crap Daddy

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2010
    Messages:
    2,744 (1.89/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,046
    It's a bad period to invest important amounts of money in a GPU. In a month or so the 7000 series will be available and later Kepler. Also Ivy Bridge will be out in April.
     
  10. AlienIsGOD

    AlienIsGOD

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2008
    Messages:
    3,463 (1.53/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,507
    unless your like me and had 2 x 4850 512MB >_< My comp was screaming for a new GPU and a 6870 was well worth it in my case :D
     
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. timma New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2007
    Messages:
    86 (0.03/day)
    Thanks Received:
    8
    why not buy GTX 560 Ti 448?
    faster than GTX 560 Ti and perfromance very close the GTX 570~
     
  12. Crap Daddy

    Crap Daddy

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2010
    Messages:
    2,744 (1.89/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,046
    I do agree in this case as the 6870 was nowhere near the price of a 570 and you were coming from DX10 cards whereas the OP already has a decent card and he should wait just a little longer.
     

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page