1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is It Worth Upgrading ?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Durvelle27, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys i know this is a little odd but i want to know if its worth upgrading my GPU to a GTX 780 Ti or GTX Titan. I mainly do gaming and video editting/rendering but i will soon get into Game Development once i start college in Fall. Any suggestions are welcome

2. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Anyone

3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
  4. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't be an even trade. If you go from a used 780 to a new 780 Ti, your looking at $250 to $300 out of pocket.

6. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    why do you want to upgrade again? games are lagging? bad fps? i guess everything should be fine with 780 performance. You might get into smth at fall, best suggestion is to wait until fall and see how it goes from there.

7. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    Is worth it upgrading to me? No. But that doesn't mean it isn't worth upgrading to you. If you have the cash you might as well blow it on the best you can get. Just be prepared to blow it again in a few months when something even better comes along.

8. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Actually i woukd only be out of about $150

Idk just and urge and i also have a 4K monitor and my 780 struggles to get decent FPS

I dont think anything faster will be launching anytime soon. Only more efficient

XSI says thanks.
  9. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    maybe a second 780 is an option for you if your motherboard supports SLI. just a thought. 2x780 will be much better than 1 780ti. not double, but my guess is 70-80%. Sorry i didn't see you have 4k monitor.

10. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    You know my systems specs are right on the left bud lol and shows my full build inluding monitors. But yes my board has 3x PCIe slots

My problem with 2x 780 is from the countless review's I've read 2x 780 lags terribly behind 2x 780 Ti's sometimes almost 40+ FPS at 4K

11. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    Well if you have enough money, go all out and buy 2x780ti and enjoy 4k at good fps :) i will be a little jelous of that setup :)
    2nd 780 its for guys with a tight budget "sarkasm"

12. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    If i could afford 2x 780 Ti i would. My plan was trade for a 780 Ti or 290X and then
    Add a second later

13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    personally i wont upgrade it, its pretty fast enough
    i may wait for newer architecture or maybe wait for the new dx 12 cards

14. kajson

kajson

Thanks Received:
    Indeed wait for 3 days and see what big fat announcement microsoft has to make with all the other gfx card makers. I think I'd hold out for the 880's, they'll have been designed more with 4k in mind then the current generation as well. Though nvidia might stall em for a long time if you're really unlucky.

15. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Guess a few days won't hurt

16. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    I think the main issue is playing your games at 30Hz rather than the framerate. When you resolve the framerate issue the refresh rate of the monitor will still be too low to be good. :)

17. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    What are you talking about 30Hz O.O

18. 64K

Thanks Received:
    @Durvelle27 the monitor you have is listed at Amazon for $500 and says 30 Hz for 4K but I saw a review dated in Jan of this year that says a new model will be coming out with HDMI 2.0 and capable of 60 Hz. Which one do you have?

I speculate that if Nvidia releases the Maxwell series anything like they did the Kepler series then they will release a 20nm GTX 880 possibly 3rd or 4th quarter this year but it won't be the fully unlocked 20nm 250 watt Maxwell. That will probably come about a year after the GTX 880 so I'm thinking it will be about a 1 1/2 years before we get the real single GPU flagship. That's the one that I would want if I were running 4K but that's a long time to wait.

19. satsol

Thanks Received:
    If it were me I wouldn't upgrade.

The price difference between the 780 and 780ti does not, in any way, justify the minimal performance increase you would see. The only reason I would recommend upgrading to a Titan is if you really intend to do some heavy graphics/photo workstation type of work along with gaming, and in that case I would definitely opt for the Titan Black over the stock Titan, which has poorer gaming performance. If it were me, I would probably just get another 780 since you obviously have some money burning a hole in your pocket. Don't base everything around what benchmarks say, as actual performance is going to vary based on individual system setups. Are two 780ti's better than two 780's in SLI. Well, yes. Are they game-changing better? No, not at all. You would squeeze out a bit more fps, but I doubt you would be happy with how much more you would actually get. Making a few tweaks here and there in game, in the NVidia control panel, and changing the way you overclock can produce a lot of extra fps.

You could wait for the 800 series, but considering the cost of the 20nm chip right now and the fact that it's not "done", we're probably not going to see a desktop card carrying this chip till the end of the year, if even that, and then longer for the "flagship" or high-end card to make its way out. What I think Nvidia is going to do is come out with an 800 series which is just a rebrand of the 700 series that uses the Maxwell architecture, which puts more focus on energy conservation than performance.

20. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    How would a 780Ti be superior to a simple 780 for Game Development? If you cannot answer this question with concrete evidence (don't just give yourself the "its 15% faster" answer, give something more realistic), then I don't think you need an upgrade.

You won't notice a difference in games because the 780 is already too powerful for any single screen setup unless you have a 4K screen. You won't notice a difference in games development either because 15% faster of very fast is just still very fast. Also, from what I know, programming in games is only cpu intensive for compiling code, and maybe then you also need an average gpu with good VRAM for viewing stuff in 3D, but that's about it unless you are planning on making Crysis 4 in-house.

Edit: I could compare myself to you, to give you an example, as I am finishing MSc in construction. AutoCAD sure benefits from a GTX Titan like I have, but as a student when I (rarely - like twice a year) render something for a coursework changing the settings to render using the GPU with CUDA instead of CPU saves about 5 minutes of my life per picture, maybe then 30 minutes saved from my life per coursework (during which I could be afk cooking) therefore it's totally not worth the expense. And then, if I look back at the courseworks I've done with my older and generally slower 7970, the 7970 is actually pissing on the Titan if I use an OpenGL renderer (which provides the same visual quality at the end) for a fraction of the Titan's cost.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  21. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    I know you can't go solely go off benchmarks. That's why i look at in game performance and use that as a baseline

I think you missed the part about me wanting to game at 4K(3840x2160)

22. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Yes I did, in which case I would advise you to buy a 2nd 780 unless I also missed the part where you are saying you don't want to :D

PS: also read my edit on my previous post.

Also, make sure you are up to date with all the shortcomings of the upcoming 4K screens. And no, im not talking about 30Hz on the cheap ones, neither about the sub-1k dollar ones with horrible TN (4K+TN = Ferrari + budget tyres). I'm actually talking about 90+% of games NOT SUPPORTING 4k resolution, and these screen being unable to upscale 1080p,1440p or 1600p content to real 4k, therefore you will see a small picture inside the screen or even it won't work at all.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  23. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    This, we are just months away from Maxwell and R9 3xx series. Just wait it out a bit longer.

24. satsol

Thanks Received:
    That and some of the newer games like Battlefield 4 have an in game resolution adjustment to make the game upscale to 4k which is nice. While it's not true 4k, it's close enough for me.

25. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Current 4K panels are only capable of 30Hz refresh rates. TVs with a "60Hz" refresh rate are just tiled displays, where each is 30Hz making your magical "60Hz".

Once we start seeing TRUE 60Hz+ 4k displays can we start considering them.