1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is Mafia 2 Any Good For The PC?

Discussion in 'Games' started by char[] rager, Jan 22, 2011.

1. char[] rager New Member

Thanks Received:
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Computer Sc
    I want to get it. I know it has been out for awhile, but all my time has been on Bad Company 2. I like games that are like Grand Theft Auto, but I have heard that GTA 4 was a console port to PC gone bad.

So is Mafia 2 worth the 30 bucks?

Edit: I am going to be playing the game on the rig listed in my specs.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    On your system it will run good, and you can use Physx effects without penalty too. I think that storyline is not so good as first game had, but it is still fun to play. Good thing that it has DLC's, that includes free play.
    CDdude55 and char[] rager say thanks.
  3. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    You will most definetly be able to play it on your PC.

With regards to quality of the port, I and a friend have compared the two and she noticed that the textures are VERY slightly higher res on the PC version, plus you get the enhanced cloth PhysX on it, too. The controls are well translated, and the game is moddable which is a bonus, I would however recommend the Xbox 360 version as it is really a game for consoles and the 360 is the superior version (PS3 is noticeably lower res).
    char[] rager says thanks.
  4. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Hmm it's a decent game and in the ilk of GTA I'd say but it's also pretty short I hear. Not sure it's *quite* worth $30 in this day and age of Steam sales etc. Though all in all, you'd probably enjoy it.
  5. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just beat it and i have to say it's one of my favorite games! I like it much better than GTA4(which i still haven't finish, because i get bored with it). I like the controls a lot better than GTA4's as well. Gun fights are way better too. I picked up the Digital Deluxe copy for $14.99. Now i want to get all the add-ons. I didn't get to use physx, but i'm think'n about installing it on my E8400 @ 4ghz with a GTX285. If you get it go ahead and get the Digital Deluxe. So, you start out with better cars.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. char[] rager New Member

Thanks Received:
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Computer Sc
    I will get it then, for the PC, as I refuse to play console.
  7. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My brother has it for the XBOX 360 and I prefer the PC over the XBOX 360 any day. My pc destroys his version... lol j/k it looks good in both but i think the pc looks better.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. ZenEffect New Member

Thanks Received:
    having worked on the game i can say that the PC version is NOT a port. the game was developed on PC then ported to the other consoles.
  9. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I was disappointed with Mafia II. I like the cinematics, visuals and mechanics, but the game is pretty short, pacing isn't good and the story borrows too much from pop culture like The Godfather or The Sopranos. Illusion Softworks tried to make a Mob story and video game but did neither very well.
  10. horik

horik

Thanks Received:
    if you like it or not depends on individual tastes,i liked it a lot,kinda short but with the dlc's you can add more hours(Jimmy's vendetta is not that gret)
  11. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Played and finished Mafia II on PC, and overall it was a good game, great characters, story, graphics etc. But as mentioned, it's a pretty short game.
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just finished Joe's Adventure and it was good. It was pretty tough actually. You get a very fast car towards the end. This game still needs more to do when you are not on a mission.
  13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I enjoyed the original Mafia in 2002 a lot. it was a linear open-world game, but the visuals, cinematics, story, pacing and mechanics trumped GTA III.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011