1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my 5970 dead!?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by kenkickr, Dec 25, 2011.

1. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    A couple days ago I received my "to good of a price to pass up" 5970 and immediately installed it. System gets to the boot logo and locks up with the 5970's fan going crazy til I hard shut it down. Tried just the 5970 in the 2nd PCI-E x16 slot due to this is a OEM card with the handle, but no display and lead me to have to clear CMOS to boot the system again with another video card.

This morning I took the back panel off the 5970 so I could fit the card in the 1st PCI-E x16 slot without the 5870 plugged in and I get no display even after clearing CMOS.

I noticed the middle Led "D3" blinks which I've read could be due to incompatibilty with my board or a power issue.

I've tried flashing the 5970 with the newest Sapphire Master and Slave vBios and I am able to see the card in safe mode but I'm sure there are plenty of you 5970 owners out there that know alot more about these than I do.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays:toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Does it boot fine with the 5870 since all this started?
  3. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    System boots just fine with only the 5870.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I have flashed the card twice today with different Sapphire vbios' and Windows sees the card just fine but once I install display drivers with the 5870 plugged in the system locks up at the boot logo or I get no display with either DVI connection when only trying to use the 5970. I also notice when I run GPU-Z without the driver installed I get weird memory and core speeds on the 5970.

I think I'll put it up on Ebay and get what I can out of it.
    Crunching for Team TPU