1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my 7790 dead?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by LTUGamer, Feb 2, 2014.

1. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys

I have used integrated graphics card for a month. After that I put back Sapphire HD 7790 Dual-X in the rig and now I can't use it. It begins to spin at max RPM and everything goes right until end of windows charging. After that there is only black screen.

Tested on two separate systems, both runs great on integrated graphics and bad with that VGA.

When it were took off it were placed not safety but it doesn't looks like it were damaged.

No possibilities to use RMA. How to fix it?
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    you cannot fix it if its dead. make this a lesson and store your hardware safely next time.

why did u switch to integrated?
    i too have a 7790 and it only consumes 5-8W during normal tasks.
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    One thing that i have come across while working on quite a few machines with integrated VGA and switching to dedicated VGA is that quite often the bios needs to be reset before it would use the dedicated graphics card no matter if the setting is set to detect PCI-E cards first during boot for display.

Run integrated GPU>Reset bios>Power system down>plug in new GPU>power on - it should work fine after that
  4. zsolt_93

Thanks Received:
    Did you connect the 6pin PCIE plug to the card?
  5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    even if he didnt the GPU will still give off beeps & a message on screen to indicate that the power isnt plugged in.
  6. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    Are you talking about GPU or motherboard BIOS?

zslot_93: sure
  7. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    First thing came to mind is set it from onboard to pci e in the bios like Freedom recommended.
  8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:

motherboard bios
  9. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    Done, won't helped :cry:
  10. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    Start with a visual inspection and check if no components are missing. Maybe during it's "rest" something came off the card. Did you try booting into safe mode?
  11. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    Visually it looks good also won't get any blows

And how to boot in safe mode using MSI Z68A G43-G3 motherboard? F8 doesn't help - always suggests Windows boot recovery
  12. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Safe mode is always F8 in windows based PC's. Try again but keep on clicking F8 until you get the option for safe mode. Clicking it over and over again until your there. I think your F8 issue is just timing. Start clicking it a soon as it tries booting. :lovetpu:
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  13. zsolt_93

Thanks Received:
    Nope in win 8 and 8.1 there is no safe mode. Just recovery console thingy with command prompt an sysrestore. Unless you create a safe boot entry manually you are screwed when something goes wrong. It might be his case too, he hasn't got his OS listed in specs.
    DRDNA says thanks.
  14. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    ^ Using Windows 7

Started it after out from BIOS. Guess that Windows boot recovery get priority over safe mode

Safe mode helped - now I can run Windows on this card. Still only in safe mode

Tried to run AMD CCC. Get error "there are no currently no settings that can be configured using CCC". Aida 64 don't give ANY information about GPU - all slots are empty

Won't tell me reinstall drivers - it is pointless

BTW when I get this card first time it also run max rpm but later this problem mystically gone. However windows worked great
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  15. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Like it or not that is a driver conflict

Download DDU and extract/install
    Goto: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\AMD Catalyst Install Manager and uninstall [Select: Express Uninstall ALL AMD Software
    Boot to safe mode
    Run DDU [Select: AMD]
    allow windows to reboot and wait for vga driver to install
    Install driver that you know works with the vga card

atb

Law-II
  16. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    gfx drivers dont load in safe mode, of course CCC wont run & you wont be able to install either

is the mobo bios updated?
  17. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the tip. I have done everything almost same as you told. Just don't uninstalled AMD drivers before running of DDU (In guru3D they says: You do NOT need to uninstall the driver before using DDU.). System worked without drivers in standard mode (fans still were noisy) but after installation everything were same - black screen after Windows screen...

Cant believe that in both my system haves failures in drivers. Also not sure if info is not showed because of safe modes or drivers.

Also tried older version of drivers (13.4 - the oldest one supported, except first drivers designed only for HD7790). Won't helped ;(

kn00tcn: I can't except that problem could be in motherboard. As I said previously I tried to run in another system so problem couldn't be there. But I am not sure if that could cause why Aida and another programs wont see graphics card too not sure if because of safe mode or another problems
  18. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    Could you try using system restore to restore your system to a date prior to you taking the card out? It's completely reversible if it won't help. Also just to be on the safe side, did you try disabling the integrated gpu altogether? I had the same issue after running my machine without the current card I have (because i was cleaning it), then, upon plugging it back in it would get to the windows loading screen and after that nada, black screen and I could hear the windows 7 welcome sound. I do think that disabling the igpu helped my cause.
  19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    hold down shift when booting windows 8, it forces a cold boot instead of restoring from hibernate.
  20. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I am playing with my bits, yes.
  21. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    LTU, find another card and see if it works in your system. It could be your PCIE lanes or MB. BTW, when you put the card in, did you disable integrated graphics in BIOS?
  22. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    err. this might seem a bit silly, but did you connect the vga/dvi from monitor to the gpu and not the motherboard?
  23. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    ^^ If card don't work in two systems that shows that problem is not in system

^ Sure I do

No possibilities to disable it :/ http://i61.tinypic.com/f237rs.jpg

However I tried to reset deflaut Bios options, won't helped. So problem should be not here
  24. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    Tried to reinstall vga BIOS. Won't helped. Any more ideas?