1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my card dying?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Master, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    Hello all its been sometime that i have this problem , at first i thought its a driver issue and updating to a new version would fix the problem , or when i did that and didnt get an answer i thought maybe thats because of the OS and the remaining of previous drivers causing conflicts ! but the same issue presits after a fresh install of windows too!
    my problem is that , when im in a game , the colors are distorted , specially in dark places , i took several screenshots so that it is more understandable .
    the screen shots are taken from a game called "BulletStorm" and i have update the driver to the latest but nothing changes ( it got even worst in some cases !)
    would anyone help me find the cause of the problem and the way i can fix it ?
    I have this problem in other games such as mass effect 3 too
    here are the screen shots :
    (the last couple of screenshots are taken from the cut-scenes )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Either you are playing those games in 16bit mode/color-space or your monitor is doing that.
    Try to look in the monitor preferences/options and see if you can adjust the Gamma or RTA (response time accelerator) in order to get better black levels and colors.

Your card should be fine.
    Master says thanks.
  3. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    but i have'nt changed anything in my monitor's settings ! aside from that , it seems my monitor doesnt have those settings you pointed out .
    i both have this problem in my windows xp and seven , both of them has their color quality set to High Quality (32 bits color depth ) .
  4. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well easiest way for you to be sure that it's not your card is: play one of those games -> take screen-shot (print screen key and paste in mspaint) -> save as .png -> open the image on another monitor. If it looks exactly the same as on your screen then you are either playing the game on 16bit mode or your card as gone bust, if the picture looks normal on the other screen then your screen is to blame (or it's settings).

BTW, post a screen-shot here too (not a photo of the screen).
    Master says thanks.
  5. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a chance to test the catd in a different system? It would be the quickest way to be sure if it is the card.
    Master says thanks.
  6. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    currently i dont have access to any other system , but i did what you said , and here is the screenshot :
    http://upload.ustmb.ir/uploads/13334466921.png
    hope it helps
    unfortunately at the moment i dont have this possibility .
  7. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Try to check a few more games out. Was your card functioning properly at first? If so for how long?
    Master says thanks.
  8. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Any problems with heat perhaps?
    Master says thanks.
  9. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The card is fine, it's the game that is being played on 16bit mode.
    What 3D settings applications do you have: CCC profiles, ATi Tray Tools, etc.? Those might be forcing your 3D application to run in 16 bit mode (since you said that your desktop is at 32bit depth), so disable all of those applications (kill them on Task Manager if you need to) and then launch the game again.
    Master says thanks.
  10. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    why would it be a heat issue?

seems like its running in 265 color mode.
    Master says thanks.
  11. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

may I ask about the most up-to-date specs of the PC, because the on your your sig doesn't seem to match with the screenshot with the Asus LCD panel. For example what exact videocard are you using now, power supply units etc.?

For the time-being, check the cables? What cables are you using for connecting the LCD panel? HDMI, DVI or VGA d-sub? Use new cables if needed. Also try to reseat the videocard if needed.
    Master says thanks.
  12. Lost Hatter

Lost Hatter

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the Gamma settings are out of wack. id try re-installing the video drivers.

uninstall
    clean Registry
    reinstall
    set to default settings if possible.
    Master says thanks.
  13. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    i tried a desktop game named "Star Defender 4" , didnt see this kind of problem in that game . and yes my vga card was working flawlessly before this issue turns up . i have been using this card since june 2009 .
    dont think so sir.
    i tried shutting down CCC.exe and ati2evxx.exe , and then tried running the game , the problem still persists .
    i only changed the lcd monitor , i have still that 4670 agp card , plus 2 gigabyte of ram and a 530 watt power supply plus my cpu 3.0g running at 3.4 on a asus p4p800-x mb .
    and i am currently using the 11.10 ati driver cause the latest one was the worst of all ( 12.1 ) and i have tested the drivers from 10.1 version up to 12.1 and all has this problem .
    i even tried to re install my windows 7 sp1 3 or 4 times and each time tried installing a new driver ( starting from the latest one 12.1 to the 10.1 - but none worked ! they all had the same issue ! ) . under windows xp sp3 i only removed the drivers and then installed another version to test .
    and by the way im using the D-sub cable to connect to the monitor .

i have this problem on a fresh install of OS too , i explained it above
    -------------------
    one thing more , how can i determine my color- depth in windows ? except looking through settings in properties .
    cause i just changed the color-depth to 16bits and didnt notice any kind of change ! my movies play just like before (with the quality ) , and games are just like before ( for example "Star Defender 4" runs just like before ) .
    any idea on this ?
  14. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    I am suspecting that there's a problem with the AGP support for the HD 4000 series in the newer drivers by AMD. Have you tried the even older drivers for the HD 4670, e.g. those from 2009, since you said in that year you have no problems with the videocard. And you have tried this AGP hotfix drivers from AMD's website (install older version if needed)? And can you perhaps also test the videocard with an other power supply unit? Just to be sure it's not the power supply unit is causing the anomalies.
    Master says thanks.
  15. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    on xp no , on windows 7 , i couldnt install the original driver which came along with the card because windows 7 wouldnt let me install it , so i installed the 10.1 which i believe dates back to Feb 01 2010 .
    i try installing the oldest driver i have , and report back .
  16. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    When my 4870 died, things looked a lot different. If you don't see little 'specs' or artifacts flipping around the screen, the card should be fine. Check your monitor's connection, maybe it has come loose or isn't in all the way.
    Master says thanks.
  17. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    the problem persists even after installing the oldest driver of mine .
    i uninstalled the 11.10 driver using the ati setup itself . then rebooted to the safe mode and removed any trace of ati drivers by using drive sweeper , then came back to windows xp and installed the 8.6 version ( the oldest driver which came with the cards driver cd ) .
  18. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Did you also try those AMD's AGP hotfixes? If not try those first. And also try to use other VGA D-sub, DVI or HDMI cables, preferably newer ones, and make sure the cable is correctly attached to the monitor and videocard.
  19. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    i used the hdmi cable and the problem still persists
    yes . i always use these hotfixes for update , because i cant install the pci-express version driver .
    any version from the early 10.1 up to the latest 12.1 has this problem . :(
  20. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can we see a screen-shot of your process list?

There must be something forcing your screen depth to 16-bit. My bother also has an HD 4670 + P4 3.2GHz + Asus P4P800-X and, although he's unable to use any driver newer than 10.2, all his games run at 32bit.
    Master says thanks.
  21. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    And did you have this problem before, i.e. when you are using your older Samsung LCD panel? Or it happened after the switch to the new Asus LCD panel?

And perhaps try out the other connections, switch between DVI, hdmi, VGA d-sub, and see if they cause the same color issues on screen.
    Master says thanks.
  22. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    i dont know since when this got this messed up ! but im pretty sure drivers up to 10.11 were fine !
    anyway here is the task manager screenshot:
    [​IMG]
    no it was just fine , its been almost a year since i have got this lcd monitor .
    i switched from the blue port(DVI? or D-sub?) to HDMI and nothing changed .
    by the way i connected my lcd monitor to my brothers laptop and tried the game , there were no glitches or distortions at all , the game was perfect . so the lcd is fine right?
  23. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, monitor should be fine then. I'd look at monitor driver, not VGA driver, as well as ensuring that the cable works right, although you changing to HDMI and getting the same result, to me, points to monitor driver possibly being corrupt.

It could be hte outputs on the card, i guess, you could check using another monitor, I suppose...if another monitor does the same, then I'd suggest trying to fresh-install Windows and see if that makes a difference.

Weird issue, for sure. I'm very interested to see how this one works out.
    Master says thanks.
  24. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Lets see, try to go to Catalyst Control Center and then change the pixel format to YCbCr 4:4:4 Pixel Format, YCbCr 4:2:2 Pixel Format, RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format Studio (Limited RGB) or RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB) vice versa and see which one works the best for you (use hdmi or DVI). See if this affect the color in Bulletstorm.

And it's kinda weird that your HD 4670 works correctly with your brother's notebook's lcd panel and not with your Asus lcd panel.
    Master says thanks.
  25. Master

Master

Thanks Received:
    the lcd came without any cd , so its all on windows , now what should i do ?
    i dont have a monitor at the moment , gotta see if i can find one to test it .
    by the way is there a way , that i can send my vga output to my brothers laptop ? how is this thing gonna work if even possible ?

Where am i supposed to find that section ! i cant find any place in Catalyst Control Center which provides such a settings !

I didnt connect my HD4670 output to my brothers laptop , ! i just connected my brothers laptop to the LCD , so that i could compare the results in realtime . and doing that i found the game to be just perfect on both screens ( laptops and my lcd ).