1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my HDD dying?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by oli_ramsay, Jul 28, 2008.

1. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    this is a speedtest I did just now and it's for some reason stuck at 1.7MB/s :eek: It's a 320GB Seagate 7200.10 IDE drive that was refurbished anout a year ago after it failed. As you can see the CPU usage is at 58% which is mental!

[​IMG]

I used to get an average read speed of probably about 60MB/s.

Is it dying? Should I get it RMA'd again? Everything is backed up just incase it does die.

2. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Well I just switched the PC off and checked the power cable is plugged in properly, switched it back on and now windows isn't detecting it. I've also check with seagate and my warranty expires Jan 2012 which is cool. Guess it's RMA time!

3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    is your hdd crawling when it comes to performance? because my drive runs at 88 mb/s atm and its a seagate 7200.10 250gb.. try hd tach and lets compare results.. it might be a software thing

4. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I think I found the culprit, a loose pin in the power connector. My molex cable has 3 connectors and the 1st one goes through a string of devices:

a fan controller, UV cold cathode inverter x 2, the front 14cm fan, the blue light at front of case and one I made for the UV LEDs in my Ac Ryan fans.

the 2nd one goes to my HDD, the 3rd to my DVD burner.

The loose molex pin was one of the black ones in the middle so it was a ground one. I guess the driveand everything else running off the molex cables was being underpowered because when I fiddled with the mess of wires my fan controller would suddenly make the fans go quicker and the UV cathodes lit up brighter. Now everything's OK and the pin is back in it's socket here's it's proper speed:

[​IMG]

5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    nice dude saved yourself an hdd