1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my laptop temp safe?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by adulaamin, Mar 2, 2011.

1. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Good day!

I have an Asus K42JA-VX062 laptop with an i5-460m processor and a 5730 video card. When I play starcraft the temps max out at 95 degC. Is it ok if it reaches that high or is something wrong? It idles around 45 degC. :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thats high, but it wont damage anything in the laptop.

Make sure you force Vsync on, it can really help lower those temps (especially in the menus)

adulaamin says thanks.
  3. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Would a cooler help? The intake vent on the laptop is small and i carry my laptop to work everyday that's why I'm kind of 50/50 on whether to buy one or not. I can get my hands on a notepal a1/e1. I'm using a book as a stand at the moment :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    i have a i5-480m, it runs pretty darn hot, but i think its designed so that it will dynamically overclock the cpu and gpu, and keep it within TDP, so it should get exactly as hot as it gets but never hotter than that? thats what i was thinking anyways.. i haven't really messed with it very much but thats what i gathered from reading, and very little benchmarking, yay occt/linpack

adulaamin says thanks.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

Better safe than sorry so get a laptop cooler. Remember to recheck the bottom on the laptop to were the vents are and what direction the air flow is. With most laptop coolers you can just unscrew the fan and flip it so you get the airflow that you require.

For example on my Dell the flows up to the keyboard and out the side.

And depending how how the laptop is disigned are you sure your not blocking a vent or two ?.

adulaamin says thanks.
  6. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Here are the small vents I was talking about...
    [​IMG]

The air is sucked in through those vents and gets blown out on the other vent on the side. I wish Asus made those intake vents bigger/longer... :)

And about the cooler, which do you think would be better, notepal a1 or notepal e1? they're about the same price.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Might be better with one of these, as it looks like you can move the fans to were you need them.

COOLER MASTER Notebook Cooling Model NotePal U2 (R...

COOLER MASTER Notebook Cooler Model NotePal U3 R9-...

EDIT: what bothers me they not left much room for cooling at all and i thought mine was bad. Mine used to run around 70c untill i got a laptop cooler with no fans now runs around 40c-55c ( my fan kicks in in the 55's then it's back to 40's. With the fans on it's more 40c-45c without the laptop fan kicking in. Some experimenting in moving the fans around should be only better.

You might want to pick up a can of compressed air to that might help some too.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    adulaamin says thanks.
  8. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    It has a ATI video card right ?. So you might want to cool were the other vent is on the other side too. Look in your power options to under the cpu options and make sure ther fans running too.

Looked around for pics of the bottom but did not see any.