1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my mobo defective or my gpu?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Punar, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Punar New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok that was too advanced for my puny brain to comprehend... would you mind putting that in lame mans terms? lol

2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    EMI=electro magnetic interference.

3. Punar New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok, is there anything i can do to confirm or fix this?

4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure, can you make a recording of the sound? maybe with a camera and upload to youtube?

5. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Which one of these two issues are you having? The second one sounds like Coil Whine. I'm not sure there's anything you can do. You might be able to RMA the card for a replacement if it's coil whine.

6. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Well I would like to suggest a different gpu that isn't a reference 660 so a 660 twinfrozr ii or a 660 dcuii top or if you want an upgrade get a 7870. AMD VRMs are reasonably high quality Nvidia gtx 600 series VRMs are if at best. The other option is to cover the sound section of the motherboard in some kind of metal that is grounded o the case or a grounding line on the PSU cables.

7. Punar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Silkstone, the first issue was with a hd7770 card i rma'd that and got a replacement when that had the same issue, asus said that the card wasn't compatible with the motherboard so i got the gtx660. considering I've tried 3 different cards and the problem has been there with every one I'm fairly convinced that it isn't the card.... the only difference with the gtx card is that it doesn't bleed to the speakers unless its heavy graphics where with the amd it bled to the speakers no matter what i was doing. Now its just the sound from the hardware... although i just stuck my head in the case while a game was running and it seems like the gpu is whining a little but it also seems like the psu is whining a lot louder than the gpu... hard to tell when its so close to each other... guess I'll take it out of the case and lay it all out on the floor and run it that way. too tired to do it today though maybe I'll do it tomorrow night.

8. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Ok if all your gpus did it then the only possible culprits are the PSU or MB. Try a different PSU as I really doubt that the issue is motherboard side as those barely ever have issues with coil whine these days also because I think the cx 750 PSU use a platform that is at it's limit resulting in coil whine and EMI.

9. Punar New Member

Thanks Received:
    i did try another psu... same problem... this is why I'm ready to rip my hair out... the only thing that i haven't tried a different one of is the cpu and hard drives and i seriously doubt that its one of those.