1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my overclock OK?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by TriggerWolf, Jan 2, 2013.

1. TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone. I'm a bit worried about my 3570K, I feel it's not too good of an overclocker.

Currently I'm running at 4.5GHz with 1.285v, anything shorter than that and games will randomly CTD. I've seen around the internet reviews saying that 1.25v should be more than enough to stable 4.5GHz, and some even achieving that with 1.21v, either I got a rotten luck or I'm doing something wrong.

Strange thing is, I tried running IBT at 1.23vCore with LLC at Extreme and it went through standard burn in flawlessly! Running games or even just doing Windows Experience Index will result in crashes or in worst case freeze.:ohwell:

I've also placed up a few notches on PLL and VCCIO voltages because, whilst playing Torchlight 2, it crashed once with stock PLL and VCCIO.

So, currently:
    vCore: 1.285v (Extreme LLC)
    vPLL: 1.8375v (from 1.80v)
    vCCIO and vCCIO 2: 1.075v (from 1.05v)

What do you guys think? I have quite the experience in OCing old Core2s but these are all new to me.

:toast:
  2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Every chip is different. Your doing fine and 3770k's run pretty hot. What are your load temps. Your voltages are on par with my chip...
    TriggerWolf says thanks.
  3. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    My 3570k needs 1.32v for 4.5ghz,your fine.
    TriggerWolf says thanks.
  4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    TriggerWolf says thanks.
  5. TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf

Thanks Received:
    Hottest core during IBT High was 87c with the H100i stock fans at max. I also turned off my pull fans (Scythe S-Flex 1600RPM) as they somehow fail to be controlled by Corsair Link, always being at max RPM, temps should be a few degrees lower with them on.

Thanks for the assurance. But I find it really wierd it goes through the most torturing benchmark I know at lower voltages and fails while gaming.

Wow, you got a golden chip there!

One thing I'm also going to try, to rule out possible RAM incompatibilities. I had a lot of problems with RAM/mobo "not liking each other" in the past with my previous rig, I'll downclock the RAM to 1333MHz and try again.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

6. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Trigger, you are past the max Tcase of the 3770K. You should be not pushing the chip past 75 or so under load. This will degradate the chip very quickly.
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Again, nobody uses TCase to report. It'll be TJunction temps, with a higher limit(105 C). If his TCase was that high, the chip should be throttling, most would notice.
  8. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Max Tcase is 67, chips run about 10 degrees hotter at center. Nobody uses it that's why they degrade chip. This was learned with Bloomfield. many degraded Bloomfield chips running his temps.
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Your point?

:p

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

He's not running bloomfield. Info is pointless.
  10. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    TCase is Tcase.. Get it? Warranty is void overclocking per Intel and they had same disclaimer and info you posted with Bloomfield. Many degraded their chip when Bloomfield was released and the community learned mid to upper 70's was the "safe" limit. As you know many overclockers, so do I and I have seen people degrade their chips at this temp.

That said, unless he is running HWBOT competition, 4.4GHz will not have any noticeable performance difference and guaranteed a longer life. I like to give sound advise and will personally guarantee a long life at 75 and under. I will not over.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but a small purchase of an OC warranty, available at the link I posted, allays any fears.

Just FYI, I run my 3570k @ 1.45 V, and 98C loaded. It'll die some day, sure, but when it does, I have a warranty to replace it. And when it does, I'll be posting about it.

So, yes, OC is covered by warranty, should you chose to pay a bit more.

Again, none of this is truly relevant to the OP, and is merely more info that may confuse rather than enlighten.

Show real proof, real hardcore proof that his chip will degrade, then you're on to something, but I have yet to hear of a single IVB chip degrading when run by normal users under normal circumstances. If there was a huge issue with these chips, Intel would most likely NOT offer the Tuning Plan Warranty. They are a business, whose goal is to make money, not to hand out free chips when users break them by being careless.
  12. TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf

Thanks Received:
    I know those temps are a little too high, but under gaming, with the fans set at very low speed, temps are not even remotely close to when during IBT. Right now, whilst playing Torchlight 2 (I know, game is really simple, not much of a reference), hottest core doesn't go any higher than 45c, the remaining cores average 37c.

I've tried playing FarCry 3 and Crysis 2, I assure that CPU temps didn't go any higher than 70c. :)

No need to have a discussion over this. I appreciate your concern though.

Cheers :toast:
  13. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    This club likes to argue all I have to say. That's your choice to run at 98 degrees. He may not know what these terms mean and it is his choice. My point is common knowledge through the community. We can debate all you want Dave, TCase and TJ are different. You cannot measure Tcase at the center of the chip and that is the point. If your running 98, there will be certain degrading. Every chip is different and many, have degraded at less. I was one of them with a i7 920 and 3930K so just because yours has not degraded so far does not mean his won't. Again, backing down 100MHz to 4.4GHz will have no noticeable performance differences but will run within TCase specs that Intel does publish.
  14. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Just saying.......:toast:
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Your are missing the point.

When 99% of users relate temps, it is NOT TCase, and hence my post after yours. You need to stop assuming that is what people are reporting.

As to IVB, TJMax is now 105C, not the 95c or lower of other chips. my 98c..is PERFECTLY within acceptable temperatures under high load. Comparing past technology(28nm or above) and faults of past tech may not correlate to new tech(22nm). The chips aren't even physically the same, period.

16. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Discussion is over Dave. OP replied. I was not assuming just giving sound advise.
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You assumed he was reporting TCase. Fact.

But whatever, I get where you are coming from, but personally, I like to keep things as simple as possible. Occam's Razor, and all that.
    drdeathx says thanks.
  18. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    No I did not assume..... I knew it was TJ. Your assuming now. Do not assume I assume hahahahahahahaha.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Not so sure on this one...:p ...assuming...or reading EXACTLY what you wrote out? :roll: