1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my SB dying? (or 'hopefully', just my psu dying out)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Ev1LrYu, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Ev1LrYu

Ev1LrYu

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys,

So yesterday I was playing an RTS game, when my pc suddenly restarted. It rebooted then after a couple of minutes logged into windows it popped a 'driver problem' (for my sidewinder mouse) then 'Explorer stopped working' then BSOD'd. While rebooting I got a message 'Overclocking failed' (by this time I was sh*tng my pants) so I reset everything to default (bios -> load optimized defaults)

This let me get into windows but running prime would error out in like 10-20secs, with 'Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4), then usually a BSOD shortly after. :cry:

Since I overclocked it last November, I have always ran HWMonitor in the background and during my gaming usage cpu temps never really even hit 68c, while previous runs of prime maxed out @ ~72c after an hour.

This was my previous oc config:
    Multi: 45
    vcore: 1.345 , hovers @ 1.344 during prime run
    LLC: ultra
    CPU Spread spectrum: disabled
    Everything else at default

Things I've tried:
    • Reset to default clocks in bios (gets me in windows, fails prime)
    • Keep stock clocks but raised vcore back to 1.300 (heard this works when degredation sets in - but results in more problems: bsod even when idle, sometimes refuses to boot) <- reverted to stock again
    • Reseat GPU, Mem and Power cables - haven't tried the cpu since I am out of TIM

One more thing, I have always cleaned inside my case every week as we have like 3 pet dogs in the house, and I sh*t myself when I moved the case, I found the following ball of fur underside of the case where the PSU air intake is :banghead:
    [​IMG]

On a related note I had a GPU problem a couple of weeks back which I now suspect to be PSU related, please tell me its just my PSU and not my proc :cry::cry::cry:

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It could be a lot of things, it could be a stick of RAM failing too.

Check the voltages on the PSU with a Digital Multi-Meter and see what they are doing when the PC is under load/idle.

Ev1LrYu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Ev1LrYu

Ev1LrYu

Thanks Received:
    hmm.. never thought about the ram that much. It happens to be one of the few things I can test as my wife's pc (my previous amd rig) has an identical set. Has a 500W HEC Raptor psu which I realise isn't that reputable, but it did run my old GTX260. Would it be enough to power my setup even just to boot so I can test?

4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yep try check your ram first
    try to reset/clear your bios too

Ev1LrYu says thanks.
  5. Ev1LrYu

Ev1LrYu

Thanks Received:
    ayt. ill try those in a bit then post feedback. Thanks guys

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I think the 500w HEC would be good enough to power the rig on at stock speeds and test the CPU. I wouldn't put much load on the GPU though, so don't fire up any games.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. Ev1LrYu

Ev1LrYu

Thanks Received:
    There seems hope :D

Hey guys, have an update!

So I went with the suggestions to check ram, here's what has happened so far:
    • Removed stick in slot 1 - ran small FFTs (min ram testing) ran ok for 15mins. Ran Blend Test and failed after 10s.
    • Replaced stick 1, removed stick 2. Ran Small FFTs, ok for 15. now in the process of running Blend, ok so far (going 10mins).

So I assume this has more to do with ram than my procie, I will continue to swap out sticks and slots to isolate, then re-oc.

Will post findings.

Thanks for all the help so far :D