1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is open box OK?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by PacAce, Feb 17, 2007.

1. PacAce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is an open box card from newegg OK or no way? Where does all the stuff go? I like the Toxic x1950xtx open box, its a clever single slot solution.
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I've heard good things about it. Personally, I don't trust it, but a great deal is a great deal :). Remember, if you decide to get an open-box thing, then you get just the part you buy. No cables, no manuals, no software.
  3. Protius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm personally not a big fan of it, but then again i've never tried it
  4. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    at first i thought that card had the cooler like the 1950pro single slots from saphire but it has that WC setup id still be cautious about open box water cooled gpu as most open box items are rma's that newegg has either repaired or found to be non defective still you never know newegg might have overlooked something so be care full and inspect that wc setup for leaks and such real well before u put it in
  5. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    open box can be good yet bad, for video cards, i would say no, other things like a monitor or mouse/keyboard then it would be ok.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Anything that could be over clocked...don't by it as open boxed...
  7. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I got my X1800XT as an open box for a DAMN GOOD price and it works great. They have been tested for functionality and should work.
  8. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    well some simi fud was posted so i will clear things up a bit.

newegg openbox are eather non-defective cards/devices that newegg tested and found to be fine, or they are items newegg rma'd to the maker and is selling cheaper because they dont come with any extras( my m2n-sli delux for example was board only in an asus rma box)

you get 15days on the items minimum.

devices that where rma'd because they didnt fit or the like(still working fine no problems) come with all componants that where returned, things back from RMA come with just the device/card/board no extras.

remmber this toxic card dosnt water cool the ram only the gpu core, u woud want to make sure the rest of teh card got airflow and maby some ramsinks added
  9. Kammster New Member

Thanks Received:
    open box according to the newegg statement on the bottom are OEM products for companies like DELL and newegg gets some.
    like a Athlon 64 2.2ghz on 754 and 939 for $54, last year @ DFi-street, the had a sticky that said that newegg got the chips as some kind of surplus that was intented for dell.

re-certified is the repaired ones.

i got my gto for 89 open-box, most feedback of people who bought the oem instead of retail got R480 not R430 cores.
    the open box and retial products are the same.
    any probs in retail are going to be in open-box, read the customer reviews.

edit: open-box is like $30 less than retail, i miss the cables
  10. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    It's a crapshoot on what you get and don't get in the box. I just got a HIS x1950pro openbox special and it came with everything the retail version does.
  11. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Open box is good, provided it has warranty