1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is RAM Disk worth it?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Flash, Feb 11, 2014.

1. LightningJR

LightningJR

Thanks Received:
    I have 32GB of ram. (Boxing day sale $109.99) I have 8GB set aside for any Minecraft servers I wish to run when playing with friends. Some of the mod packs have over 200 mods and are intensive, having this on a mechanical HDD isn't feasible after the world gets large and people have lots of machines going. I could use my SSD but I like to keep reads/writes on it to a minimum so the ramdrive is a perfect alternative. Plus removing any possible lag on the server side is imperative when I have only 2Mbps upload. The drop in load time of the server startup is also a plus, sometimes it's literally 75% quicker.

Some software allows for incremental backups, I have mine set to backup every 30min.

Idk how much benefit the average user/gamer/geek can get from a ramdrive.

_JP_ says thanks.
  2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Well, the only use for one that I found was for content caching on firewalls.
    As for the pagefile, again, it is useless. If you have use win7 or newer, pagefile management is done right, so if you have more than 4GB of RAM, windows will rarely resort to the pagefile.
    If you aren't finding anything to do with your RAM, start virtualizing.
    You do realize that a win8 64b install needs (at least) 20GB of storage. That much spent on RAM (because it would have to be buffered ECC modules) would be better sent to a PCI-e SSD...which is already mind-blowing fast.
    Still, I think that it is feasible with a beowulf config.

EDIT: You could also move some steam games to it and have neat loading times. Or steam itself...which sometimes takes forever to load.

3. LightningJR

LightningJR

Thanks Received:
    The only games I wanted faster loading times on were large ones, like LOTRO and BF3. These games are 25-35GB so not really an option for a ramdrive. Other than that my SSD and mechanical HDD loaded games quick enough for me anyway. So I don't see any reason to want games on RAM.

As for virtualization, I only did it once and only partially successful then so I know very little about it. I don't really know why I would want to.

Having lost of ram is good, it allows you to have a bunch of things running without issue, I have had 3 games running at the same time and lots of chrome tabs and other programs, while it doesn't happen often it's still nice to have the ability when the situation arises.

With the consoles having 8GB of shared memory how difficult would it be to use system ram in tandem with VRAM? I noticed with Watch Dogs that I couldn't play on Ultra because I only have 2GB of VRAM, does it already buffer into the system ram? if not is it possible and would it be too slow maybe?

4. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Mussels says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Now being all SSD these days i don't use one any more, when i did i used Dataram RAMDisk with symboliclinks which helped with games like Arma 2 and very high spawning rates.

6. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    for 99.9% of users see the following

7. dr0thegreatest

dr0thegreatest

Thanks Received:
    like everyone suggested, Ram DIsk really didnt make a difference on my personal rig. There was a tutorial while back t hat said firefox/ browsing could be sped up putting temp files on ram disk but loading new pages was slower, restart comp was a little slower, oveall not really worth it. For now

8. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    Simple answer for the question is no.

Clear downsides is that using RAM for storage isn't reliable and if it fails any data which was on the RAMdisk would be lost entirely.
    Also the ideal of this setup is for performance and not storing stuff for "fast" storage and the use of RAMdisk is not particularly more useful for storing temporary files than the default method given you will still be slowed down by the main system disk (which is almost certainly not installed on the RAMdisk).

Affect on performance can vary when using RAMdisk, but it would probably not be significant overall and it is possible that change in performance wouldn't be noticeable.

The general purpose of making a RAMdisk is for benchmarks, fast performance on OS installed on RAM disk along with fast loading times from games installed on the RAM disk with the OS.

Of course to make use of RAMdisk more effectively you would at least want more than 16GB of RAM in total and would almost certainly need to go higher end Sandybridge-E or above chipsets to have more than 32GB of total to have a larger storage capacity for the RAMdisk. Normal chipsets such as Z97 only allows a maximum of 32GB with most (if not all) motherboards.

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Dataram has a option you can save on shutdown or after so many minutes.

10. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    I still have to insist using RAM as storage isn't reliable and most people aren't going to turn RAM into storage or data storage purposes or rather the space on the RAM would be used for something either benchmark or performance related.
    Of course there are many methods of having a copy of the data on other storage sources should the data on the RAM (turned into storage) have significant importance.

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    If you mean storage for important data then you should have a backup of a backup which is were cool apps like Synctoys ( should of come with win7\8 as default ) comes in handy.. I been using ramdisk for a long time for dedi servers and it can help with some when access demand gets high.

Then i use Simbolic links\Hardlinks as well. And as i said in my last post it's all backed up on shutdown or when you like it to be just depends on what data.

12. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    dont really see the point in a ram disk. alot of people here seem to say put the page file on it.. But thats kind of a pointless exercise in a way. all you really do then is make less space in ram for apps so they have to use the page file which you have put in ram..
    seems pretty futile.

the only ram drives that ever interested me were those old pci cards you could plug ram in to and had a battery on them so you could use them as a hard disk (batterie died = lost ya data though) which wouldnt be so bad apart from the fact you have a stupid 133mb/s bandwidth limit on pci.. which is the same as Pata so pointless. (they also did pata versions too)
    using a ram drive as data cache is probably the best option. but windows generally does a good job of that any way..

honestly the only reason id go for a drive based on ram is if it was a physicall plug in adapter with a batterie (like the old ones before ssd's) and it ran on pci-e x16. one of those combined with SSD's and your systems memory would be a benifit. although you would probably end up spending a fortune on the most and fastest ram you could get your hands on simply to get the most out of it.

and if you didnt have the best cpu and gpu(s) on the best board. over clocked as far as they could possibly go. with the fastest ssd's then you would probably be better off spending the money els where.
    and even then it probably only holds true whilst scaling of gpu performance as you go to 3-4 gpus is less than adequate.

any way thats my thoughts on it personally. its a bit pointless especially if your just using it for page file.

13. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    The sarcasm is not strong with this one...

Read the rest of the post, and my previous post.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    I used it only for Firefox temp. folder, it started a lot faster then from hdd.

Now on ssd it doesnt matter anymore.

15. KiwiSteve

Thanks Received:
    I'm using XFASTRAM on my ASROCK 990FX to hold a 24Gb RAM disk for Steam and my modded Skyrim. My PC sleeps, when I want it to, has a UPS and boots off a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I'm doing this because I don't have a lot of time to wait for startup and game loads. My observation is that Skyrim does everything faster and smoother than when running off SSD. I take a backup of the RAMDisk everytime I change/add a mod or Steam does an update. It takes less than 2 minutes to backup. If I have to do a Shutdown, then copying the backup to the RAMDISK also takes less than 2 minutes.

16. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    i gues we all had some expirience with ramdisk!!i also tried it recently..,and i saw big improvments in aplications startup.
    when you first start aplication it takes normal (long) time,but when you close it and open any time again it blasing fast(regular hdd here)
    my advice is try it your self...,its not something that can hurt..,experiment with it see how it goes and work for you then decide...,use it or delete it!