1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is RAM getting more expensive?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Paladone, Jan 4, 2014.

1. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Can't

2. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    But if you have 9GB, the OS takes 2GB, the other takes 100MB. Linux will make the difference by not using 1.9GB. And you will have 8.9 available against 7GB on rival OS (cannot run your 8GB VM there).

That's the problem. So yea, it can help (A LOT).

You do not need all that, that's just useless. Pick a XFCE, LXDE or even a lighter alternative. By using just the core with basic command line, you will have even more RAM to do actual work.

No, the correct is: "You do not want." Simple.

Everything's possible, you just need to want to work.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    @Blue-Knight I think we've had this argument before, and it's absolutely pointless. Your precious xubuntu will use more than 100mb if it is avaliable. It is called Dynamic Random Access Memory for a reason you know.

And it is most likely a question of can't. There are several can'ts in computing.

remixedcat says thanks.
  4. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    It depends... With the windows manager running it uses 260MB-300MB. With just the core, basic command line it uses ~50-80MB. And that's because I have a lot of system applications running.

Only if your client or company puts that limitation. Otherwise, nothing will prevent you from running other OS, you just need to have a compatible CPU.

5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Eventually the consumer won't pay beyond a certain range. However at the current range, its inelastic though its probably close to the maximum anyone is willing to pay.

Its inelastic when the price goes up or down with no change in demand, its probably still in the inelastic range.

Ram was probably underpriced, at 2012 levels, in relationship to demand, if the shelves are being cleared presently despite higher prices. I paid $60 for my 2x8 GB Hyper X kit December 2012 and its currently $160 now.

My theory is that consumers realize no value beyond 8 GB of ram, and $60 gets you a unit of [performance computer ram], $60 is how much the average budget builder allocates for their ram, therefore as long as 8 GB or greater is $60 they can get away with higher prices.

The same thing has happened with oil, rumors of shortage and several spills, production issues, etc raised the price at the pump from $2/gallon to $5/gallon, since then we have had plenty of oil available in the United States, and record recent domestic production of oil, but oil prices remain around $4.00/gallon. Consumers are willing to pay that much for oil, probably more.

Source on gas:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRFPUS1&f=A

and

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?f=W&n=PET&s=EMM_EPMR_PTE_NUS_DPG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  6. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    That's true! I paid $55 for 4GB of ordinary, cheapest DDR3 RAM.

Now if you are paying $60 for 8GB, you are in a paradise. I would put 16GB if I could get such low price.

7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB

[​IMG]

Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 4GB

[​IMG]

From here, prices in SEK. Now might be time to get that 4GB stick I need...

8. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    I'm kicking myself for not getting 16GB of RAM way back when I put my rig together.

9. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I got same ram for 29. Now its just ridiculous.

High Price
    Wow
    Overcharge
    Classy
    Price fixing
    Amazing

10. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Yep. I got software that WONT work in wine on linux and would break license terms as well. I also have several windows applications I rely on that don't have linux versions. Most of the beta software I test is windows only and NO WINE is allowed for the test.

Also Linux is really only got for web servers and not really a good desktop OS.

See above.

11. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    That's your opinion (and far from truth, in my opinion).

Ah, I understand. You are not free, you are a slave (so you can't choose). If the software is not available to other OS just recreate yourself or find an alternative (as I said, you have to work).

You can still free yourself... These proprietary companies always contaminating naive users... Shame on them.

12. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Linux sound servers have issues, Lots of the hardware I have has driver issues, the media players suck on linux, GPU drivers are broken.,,, etc.

Uhhhh who said anything about being a slave? really. That escalated quickly.

13. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    remixedcat, continue to elude yourself.

I am leaving this topic because I do not want to get banned from another forum.

Happy New Year!

14. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    What???? You're definitly jumping the gun here. STOP IT.

15. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    The fuck?

Jetster, james888 and remixedcat say thanks.
  16. SchrodingerPC

SchrodingerPC

Thanks Received:
    I bought my XMS3 DDR3 2x4GB RAM for about £24. (roughly $40). They are now at an insane £80+ (roughly $130). I can't believe this, i bought my RAM about 14 months ago, a little over a year. Why have they shot up so much since?! Maybe it is what people are saying, about DDR4.

17. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  18. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Seriously. I'd say Richard Stallman posted that if I didn't know better.

I love Linux, but sometimes, you can love something too much... Saying people who don't choose what you choose are slaves is pretty much mind slavery of it's own sort. Don't drink the koolaid, yo.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Holy feck in the neck!!!! DDR2 800 sticks are freakin expensive! For the hubby's compy he needs 8GB and it will cost 160USD! Riiiip Offfff!!!