1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is SATA 6Gb backward compatible with SATA 3Gb?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Rado D, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Simple as it is question.After research Im pretty much sure about positive answer,but wanted to ask you guys too...

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yes.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Thanks..after I started the thread,on the bottom of the page another exactly same thread showed up..So moderators feel free to delete mine.I honestly was looking for it,but didnt spot it in the endless sea of threads :rolleyes:

4. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    It is compatible, although it would work like this:

SATA III Device/ Cable into SATA II Port: The connection would be running at the fastest speed of the port which would be SATA II Speed which would be a speed decrease.

SATA II Device/ Cable into SATA III Port: The connection would be running at the fastest speed of the port which would be SATA III Speed which would be a speed increase.​
    Of course for ultimate speed it would be using a SATA III Device/ Cable that is connected into a SATA III Port.

5. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Actually it doesn't work that way.

It works at the lowest common denominator. So SATA II device connected to a SATA III port will run at SATA II speed, there will be no speed increase. Not that it really matters because SATA II devices don't actually use all of the bandwidth available to them with SATA II anyway, except for maybe a few very high end SSDs. But most mechanical drives barely max out SATA I.

6. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    you beat m to it. its a common misconception that saa2 will run faster on sata 3 but it dont. and as tekie said there are not very many things that max sata2 out atm so sata 3 really isnt needed yet

7. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, and I always shake my head when I see a mechanical SATA 6.0Gbp/s drive. Because it is a total marketting gimmick. Even the fastest consumer level mechanical drive doesn't top 150MB/s transfer speeds.

8. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    Thanks you people for correcting that misconception of mine.

9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you also dont need any special cables for sata 6 gb/s. the specification recommends "good" cables because of the high data rate. any cheap cable should be able to handle that, but some companies try to make extra money off consumers by marketing cables as sata 6 gb/s

Nokiacrazi and CDdude55 say thanks.
  10. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    agree,I think I've just briefly read yesterday review (or preview,probably an older one) of first SATA III HDD from Seagate and they also tried to upsale "special" SATA 6GB cables...

Im so excited guys,Im making some upgrades to my system.Selling my Asus P6T Deluxe along with i7 920 and instead getting the mighty ROG Rampage III Extreme with i7 950..also you could give a bit of a help to decide wether to change the Noctua NH-U12P SE for H70( my girl is willing to buy it for me for Xmas :D
    The thing is,the Noctua (even with i7 920) above 3.2GHz simply is not giving satisfying results
    and Prime 95 is murdering it...

11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    if I had known before lol... Only like 10$ out the window but still

It was back when SATA III was brand spanking new though, so I forgive myself

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i edited the title to say Gb instead of GB, it annoys me when people mess that up.

n-ster says thanks.
  13. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Computers used to more or less tend to run as fast overall as the slowest component (hence the term bottleneck). Not so much these days, but depending on how a system is bottlenecked it can determine if one specific thing is going to drag down the rest of the system. Regarding SATA standards, this is one of the things besides as mentioned the exception of a few select high end SSD's that doesn't really matter. Also short answer, yes, SATA 2 is backwards compatible with SATA 3 and vice versa.

14. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Im utterly sorry sir :D